What IDE do you use?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.

What IDEs do you use?

Code::Blocks
40%
Visual Studios
27%
Dev-C++ / wxDev-C++
9%
XCode
2%
Eclipse
11%
NetBeans
No votes
none (vim, emacs, gedit, ...)
2%
Other
9%

Total votes: 45

ninja9578
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

What IDE do you use?

Post by ninja9578 »

Just curious as to why there is a wxDev-C++ forum (which I thought was deprecated,) and no Code::Blocks forum, which I thought was far more popular for wx developers.

I use Code::Blocks on Windows and Linux and XCode on OSX. I guess this forum software doesn't allow multi-imput polls, so put which you use most, I guess it's Code::Blocks mostly for me. I do modules on XCode because of the instruments, but I put them all together in Code::Blocks.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Code Blocks :)
I think th reason there is no C::B forum is that C::B have its separate solid forum. I'm not mod, so they are in better position to explain this.

DevCpp is deprecated and dead, wxDevCpp is not. It is actively developed
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

Code::Blocks I like because of the x-platform IDE. If there would be a better port for wxDev-Cpp I would like to give that a try. I strongly believe that there should be one "native" IDE for wxWidgets that is fully supported on all platforms wxWidgets supports and moves as fast with implementing features and aiding the developers as much as they can to develop in wxWidgets. I don't really mind which IDE will take that role, but there should be a good GUI editor, component sets that cover all the available components in wxWidgets, and enough wizards to get every novice to use wxWidgets, or help the lazy advanced users not to type too much lines of code themselves ;-)

With regards,
- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Jorg wrote:Code::Blocks I like because of the x-platform IDE. If there would be a better port for wxDev-Cpp I would like to give that a try. I strongly believe that there should be one "native" IDE for wxWidgets that is fully supported on all platforms wxWidgets supports and moves as fast with implementing features and aiding the developers as much as they can to develop in wxWidgets. I don't really mind which IDE will take that role, but there should be a good GUI editor, component sets that cover all the available components in wxWidgets, and enough wizards to get every novice to use wxWidgets, or help the lazy advanced users not to type too much lines of code themselves ;-)

With regards,
- Jorgen
And that Jorg, will be archieved if there will be integration of wxFormbuilder and Code::Blocks
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
I did use C::B, but I switched to CodeLite. At work I tend to use geany.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

And that Jorg, will be archieved if there will be integration of wxFormbuilder and Code::Blocks
Just to mention that CodeLite (which many seem to prefer to C::B, and which I use) has a wxFB connection: it doesn't incorporate wxFB (doesn't show wxFB inside the IDE) but there are "New foo with wxFB" wizards (foo being project, frame, dialog or class), which incorporate wxFB output into the CodeLite project.

Regards,

David
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

DavidHart wrote:
Just to mention that CodeLite (which many seem to prefer to C::B, and which I use) has a wxFB connection: it doesn't incorporate wxFB (doesn't show wxFB inside the IDE) but there are "New foo with wxFB" wizards (foo being project, frame, dialog or class), which incorporate wxFB output into the CodeLite project.

Regards,

David
Sure, C::B have that too. I think the reason Many are switching to CL is the underhood movement of C::B developments. If you try SVN version of C::B, you will know that It is moving further than where it was. Codelite is decent too (Bravo to Ifrah)
Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kenneth Camargo »

evstevemd wrote:
Jorg wrote:Code::Blocks I like because of the x-platform IDE. If there would be a better port for wxDev-Cpp I would like to give that a try. I strongly believe that there should be one "native" IDE for wxWidgets that is fully supported on all platforms wxWidgets supports and moves as fast with implementing features and aiding the developers as much as they can to develop in wxWidgets. I don't really mind which IDE will take that role, but there should be a good GUI editor, component sets that cover all the available components in wxWidgets, and enough wizards to get every novice to use wxWidgets, or help the lazy advanced users not to type too much lines of code themselves ;-)

With regards,
- Jorgen
I beg to differ, Code::Blocks with (the already included) wxSmith fits exactly the bill. It's is a visual designer with support for all the "native" widgets.

I think that Code::Blocks may not be getting its fair share because, as someone else pointed out in this thread, if you don't poke around the site you won't know about the nightlies, and that's where the whole action is. If people confine themselves to the home page, they will have the impression that it has been stagnated for two years ,which is not the case.

In any case, those are my 2 cents. :)

Ken
Using gcc 4.7.2 (mainly), wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 2.9.4, Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bits and 64 bits), win xp (32 bits), win 7 (64 bits), trying to get a hand on Mac OSX Mountain Lion, code::blocks
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Kenneth Camargo wrote: I beg to differ, Code::Blocks with (the already included) wxSmith fits exactly the bill. It's is a visual designer with support for all the "native" widgets.
Ken
I have tried wxSmith more than twice. No offence here but it is ugly and convoluted IMHO and I have failed. wxFB is simple and their inheritance philosophy is beatiful. I allows flexibility and changes :)

my cents too :roll:
Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

evstevemd wrote:
Kenneth Camargo wrote: I beg to differ, Code::Blocks with (the already included) wxSmith fits exactly the bill. It's is a visual designer with support for all the "native" widgets.
Ken
I have tried wxSmith more than twice. No offence here but it is ugly and convoluted IMHO and I have failed. wxFB is simple and their inheritance philosophy is beatiful. I allows flexibility and changes :)

my cents too :roll:
No offense at all, but I am using wxSmith in regular production for a while now (well over a year) with some fairly complex GUIs (e.g. reclink.sourceforge.net) and strongly disagree with your assessment. The fact that it is tightly integrated with c::b makes it much more productive than wxFB.

Well, as with almost everything else in life, YMMV. :)

Ken
Using gcc 4.7.2 (mainly), wxWidgets 2.8.12 & 2.9.4, Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bits and 64 bits), win xp (32 bits), win 7 (64 bits), trying to get a hand on Mac OSX Mountain Lion, code::blocks
jfouche
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by jfouche »

I personnaly use CodeLite, and won't go back to Code::Blocks now...
Jérémie
Kenneth Camargo
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

jfouche wrote:I personnaly use CodeLite, and won't go back to Code::Blocks now...
Heureusement on a la liberté de choisir... :)
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Bad you can only vote for one IDE, I use many, not a single one ;)
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

jfouche wrote:I personnaly use CodeLite, and won't go back to Code::Blocks now...
Sure codelite is decent IDE. I have used it while back and it have never faliled me. I just love C::B. Sometimes I wish I could use both of them but Just as many other choices in life you have to choose one and become well acquainted with it. So I chose C::B
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

Kenneth Camargo wrote: No offense at all, but I am using wxSmith in regular production for a while now (well over a year) with some fairly complex GUIs (e.g. reclink.sourceforge.net) and strongly disagree with your assessment. The fact that it is tightly integrated with c::b makes it much more productive than wxFB.

Well, as with almost everything else in life, YMMV. :)

Ken
cool If I get time, I will give it another go. But great is wxFB compared to wxSmith. One thing I appreciate is that, wxSmith supports much features like AUI but there is a work around for this ;)