How to develop language sensitive editors?????

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
DhavalM
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How to develop language sensitive editors?????

Post by DhavalM »

Dear All,

Let me introduce myself, I am not SW guy but currently I am getting after developing a nice verilog editor which shall highlight language sensitive syntax and few more things. In addition to it editor should be ran over X window as well as should be platform independent.

Here where I need help from developer's community. Its my humble request to community to direct me on how to design and architect such application which shall load processor as little as possible and also exhibits required functionalities.

Thanks in advance for your time and response.

Dhaval
Last edited by DhavalM on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Please don't ask people to drop you a mail personnaly; it doesn't work anyway (why would I take the time to write to you if I don't know whether someone already wrote the same exact things?)

About syntax highlighting, have a check at wxScintilla (or wxSTC, which is really just a wxScintilla version shipped as part of the main wx package). About running in X windows, wxGTK can do this. About load on CPU, well that of course depends on what you do in your editor, a window on its own won't take the CPU, it's the processing you add to it that may take some.
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
Sof_T
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Sof_T »

Auria wrote:have a check at wxScintilla (or wxSTC, which is really just a wxScintilla version shipped as part of the main wx package).
Surely that is the other way round, didn't wxScintilla derive from wxSTC? :D

I agree with Auria, wxSTC is the component you want, I have used this to build a couple of text editors and although it may seem difficult to start with it is very powerful and should be able to do what you want.
The home of Sof.T http://www.sof-t.site88.net/
Author of Programming with wxDevC++
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxdevcpp-book/
dhaval03
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by dhaval03 »

anybody interested in working on the editor development.

-Dhaval