Portable Overlapped Serial Communication Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
rodrigod
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Portable Overlapped Serial Communication

Post by rodrigod » Mon May 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi,

I have a win32 app that has an Overlapped Serial Communication. Now the application is becomming portable. So i have done a lot of research on the internet, and found a lot of codes showing how to make an overlapped and non-overlapped communication on win32, but when I find example code for linux it doesn't even mention if it is overlapped or not. Does anyone know if linux doesn't have this issue or have any information on how to write a overlapped serial communication app for linux?

Thanks

mc2r
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by mc2r » Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Overlapped I/O is a windows'ism introduced in NT. In unix/posix you might want to look at the Asynchronous I/O API (AIO). I've never used Overlapped I/O so I couldn't begin to guess how compatible the two are or how much it would take to convert.

Boost also has an asycn I/O library. Mostly used for portable networking, but it does have classes for serial ports. Might be another possibility.

-Max