Installation / depoyment

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Nihilist
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Installation / depoyment

Post by Nihilist »

This may be answered elsewhere, but I haven't found out where yet.

Surpose I develop Application X. It requires the wxWindows library. Now, I could link statically and ship the whole thing using some installer or other.

What if I want to use the dll libraries ( in a windows version first say, for example ). Do I include an installation for the wxWindows library and get it to check if it's already installed? Are there installer packages already available. -- In essance, how is deploymenet / installtion done given a wxWindows application and a target machine that may, or may not have wxWindows library, or the correct version installed?
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: Installation / depoyment

Post by Ryan Norton »

Nihilist wrote:This may be answered elsewhere, but I haven't found out where yet.

Surpose I develop Application X. It requires the wxWindows library. Now, I could link statically and ship the whole thing using some installer or other.

What if I want to use the dll libraries ( in a windows version first say, for example ). Do I include an installation for the wxWindows library and get it to check if it's already installed? Are there installer packages already available. -- In essance, how is deploymenet / installtion done given a wxWindows application and a target machine that may, or may not have wxWindows library, or the correct version installed?
Well, honestly there are differing opinions on this and a lot of personal preferences.

In general, the machine your using won't have wxWidgets installed on it - and if it does, its probably the wrong version :). If you link the wrong version of the lib with your app, it will terminate your app with a friendly error message :).

The way to install wxWidgets with dlls is to install it in the same folder as your executable if you're installing if you're on windows - and on other platforms first check if its installed (see http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/wiki.pl?Distr ... plications), of course the right version probably isn't, especially if you're using a development version, and if its not installed on a non-windows system installing it in the /usr/local/lib is probably the best way to go.

Also, if you are using dlls, consider using the monolithic option (--enable-monolithic in configure), its generally easier on the user than having several dylibs drifting around :).
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]