wxZipOutputStream size limitations?

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
jfath
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxZipOutputStream size limitations?

Post by jfath » Wed May 11, 2005 3:41 pm

I'm porting an app originally written in Borland Builder to wxWidgets. The BB version used a zlib/minizip library to produce zip files, but I've changed the code to use wxZipOutputStream.

The new version seems to have problems producing very large archives (>1 GB). Small archives complete OK, but large ones with many files either take forever or hang at some point with no error message.

I know that last part is too vague and I'll track down exactly what's happening, but I wanted to do a quick post to make sure somebody else hasn't already seen the problem or there isn't a known limitation that makes wxZipOutputStream appropriate only for smaller archives. I can go back to my zlib based C++ class, but I hate to drag extra code around when wx offers an elegant solution.

Thanks.

Jerry

Ryan Norton

Re: wxZipOutputStream size limitations?

Post by Ryan Norton » Tue May 24, 2005 7:54 pm

jfath wrote:I'm porting an app originally written in Borland Builder to wxWidgets. The BB version used a zlib/minizip library to produce zip files, but I've changed the code to use wxZipOutputStream.

The new version seems to have problems producing very large archives (>1 GB). Small archives complete OK, but large ones with many files either take forever or hang at some point with no error message.

I know that last part is too vague and I'll track down exactly what's happening, but I wanted to do a quick post to make sure somebody else hasn't already seen the problem or there isn't a known limitation that makes wxZipOutputStream appropriate only for smaller archives. I can go back to my zlib based C++ class, but I hate to drag extra code around when wx offers an elegant solution.

Thanks.

Jerry
Best bet is to mail wx-dev with this, actually. wxZipStreams were very recently redone so most likely you'll have to get an answer from the writer himself :).

jfath
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by jfath » Tue May 24, 2005 8:49 pm

Thanks, Ryan.

The sad part is, I haven't seen a failure, but I now have reports from two testers who say they have a crash or hang while backing up large directories or files with the new version of my app which uses wxZipStreams rather than calling zlib directly. It's likely I'm doing something wrong, but I need to reproduce the problem first.

Jerry
http://sourceforge.net/projects/backzip/