Commercial license

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
mattropolis
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Commercial license

Post by mattropolis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:34 pm

I didn't see this immediately in the FAQ, but I had two questions:

1. I want to write a commercial app in wxWidgets, and will probably want to redistribute the wxWidgets sources so that folks can build the samples I want to include. Will there a problem including wxWidgets source+install package along with my installer?

2. Am I free to make a commercial application on top of wxWidgets? Do I need to redistribute the source to everything or can it be closed?

Thanks in advance

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Commercial license

Post by tierra » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 am

mattropolis wrote:1. I want to write a commercial app in wxWidgets, and will probably want to redistribute the wxWidgets sources so that folks can build the samples I want to include. Will there a problem including wxWidgets source+install package along with my installer?

2. Am I free to make a commercial application on top of wxWidgets? Do I need to redistribute the source to everything or can it be closed?
You are fine on both counts. The wxWidgets license was written specifically for these kinds of situations where other GPL/LGPL/OS licenses lack this ability. You should still read the individual licenses for the additional libraries that are included with wxWidgets (such as libtiff, libpng, jpeg, expat, etc), but they're all under licenses that shouldn't restrict the wxWidgets license. Many of them are under the MIT license.