wxWidgets vs plain GTK+? Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
Ansible
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxWidgets vs plain GTK+?

Post by Ansible »

I've been using wxWidgets on windows for a while now, and I'm starting to look at doing more over on the linux side. Over there I see that wxWidgets runs on top of GTK+.

GTK+ is cross platform, of course, although the widgets are non standard on the windows side. Is that (native widgets) the main reason that people use wxWidgets instead of GTK+ on linux? Is wx more powerful than the plain GTK libs? What are some of the pros and cons of wx vs plain GTK?

One reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting the openmoko phone when it comes out (not the current version but the next), and it uses GTK for its interface. I'm wondering if should continue with wx, or whether I'll want to go directly to GTK. I have the impression that you can do skins and such in GTK, whereas that is not really possible on wxw, at least not in the default version. Probably openmoko will make use of the customizable aspects of GTK, and maybe my wxw app will end up looking clunky. Or not, I don't know.

So, some input on some of these issues would be appreciated.
frog-o
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by frog-o »

People view on the gtk differ from person to persion just like there choice in compilers and programing laugese

Here are my view

the cons:

The gtk+ libary in IMHO is harder to install then wxwidget on window when i was using it years back so this might have change

The gtk+ libbary is c and i find c very anowing to use. You can git gtkmm for it but it just one more hassel to mess with.

It been my experiance that the wxwidget can do more then the gtk+ like work with database (even thou you can work around that buy download anther libary;I just like dealing with the one package(wxwidget))

Ai I understandit gtk dose not look like window it emulate the controls

pros:

Some beleave the c is fast the c++ and injoy working with the systext

you are not using the wrapper

you have all the gtk fuction

Again to me the wxwidget has alot clean interface the the gtk and is a clear winner. IMHO in also has more tutorials and the fuction are easer to use to prevent manual delete of object and thing like that.

You also got to rember to this is probly not a good place to git alot of differ view from since this is a wxwidgets Form after all (I would think most reader would be wxwidgets fan).
arkanes
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by arkanes »

Is that (native widgets) the main reason that people use wxWidgets instead of GTK+ on linux?
In general, people who use wx instead of GTK+ on linux do so because a) they want good cross platform support, b) they know wx and not gtk+ and/or c) they prefer the wx API to the GTK api
Is wx more powerful than the plain GTK libs?
Not in any absolute terms.
What are some of the pros and cons of wx vs plain GTK?

If you're developing only on Linux, there are only subjective ones, such as the the last 2 reasons I gave above.
One reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting the openmoko phone when it comes out (not the current version but the next), and it uses GTK for its interface. I'm wondering if should continue with wx, or whether I'll want to go directly to GTK
I have no reason to believe that wx will be ported to OpenMoko, so unless you're willing to do it, moving to Gtk for this development is probably wise. In addition, any new platform controls that OpenMoko might have (such as a SIP or special hardware events) will be implemented in Gtk.
I have the impression that you can do skins and such in GTK, whereas that is not really possible on wxw, at least not in the default version.
Gtk has support for a theme engine, but not per-application skinning.
Probably openmoko will make use of the customizable aspects of GTK,
This seems quite likely.
and maybe my wxw app will end up looking clunky. Or not, I don't know.

Since most wxGTK controls are wrapped Gtk controls, and of the remained most use the wx wrapping of the Gtk theme engine, your app will probably look as at home as it does on a Gtk desktop.
michael_T
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: wxWidgets vs plain GTK+?

Post by michael_T »

Ansible wrote:.... Over there I see that wxWidgets runs on top of GTK+.
Not here :-)

wxWidgets can use GTK, but also other frameworks like motif, ...

So if you use wx you can use different underlying frameworks on different platforms.
--
no sig is good sig, but sick leave is real life!