How could I use wxWidgets as a viewport for Vulkan Topic is solved

This forum can be used to talk about general design strategies, new ideas and questions in general related to wxWidgets. If you feel your questions doesn't fit anywhere, put it here.
SolarisFalls
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

How could I use wxWidgets as a viewport for Vulkan

Post by SolarisFalls »

Hey there, I'm quite new with the wxWidgets API but have a fair amount of familiarity with C++, keeping that in mind, I have a few questions about the use of wxWidgets in conjunction with Vulkan.

1- Is it at all possible to use wxWidgets as a viewport for Vulkan, more specifically, for a game engine viewport, not the final compiled game? I know it's been done with OpenGL, but I really can't find much about it being done with Vulkan.

1.5- If so, how could I get started with that? What keywords do you think I need to do more research into that?

2- I've heard people saying wxWidgets isn't very efficient for rendering. I'd like to know to what extent this is true, of course I believe them but are they talking dropping maybe 5fps or 500fps?

3- Using my questions as context, what other things do you think I should be aware of when using Vulkan in conjunction with wxWidgets?

Thank you very much in advance!
doublemax

Re: How could I use wxWidgets as a viewport for Vulkan

Post by doublemax »

Someone had a similar question about a year ago, maybe this helps:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47657
2- I've heard people saying wxWidgets isn't very efficient for rendering. I'd like to know to what extent this is true, of course I believe them but are they talking dropping maybe 5fps or 500fps?
The wx event loop certainly has some overhead, but i don't think it's that bad. E.g. if i create a custom drawn window that just draws a bitmap, and refresh it at max speed (using the IDLE event method from https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Making_a_render_loop ), i can get over 1000 fps.
Use the source, Luke!
SolarisFalls
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by SolarisFalls »

I'm not sure how I didn't find that before, but it seems like a great starting point, thank you very much.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

SolarisFalls wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:08 am
I'm not sure how I didn't find that before, but it seems like a great starting point, thank you very much.
If you get it to work, it would be great if you could share your findings (maybe with some code) here. Thanks.
Use the source, Luke!
SolarisFalls
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by SolarisFalls »

If you get it to work, it would be great if you could share your findings (maybe with some code) here. Thanks.
Will do! That'll probably be in quite a while but regardless I'll be happy to share.