unresolved external symbols

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
cecilio
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

unresolved external symbols

Post by cecilio » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:55 am

Hi,
I am trying to install wxWidget 2.4.2 for windows. I downloaded and installed it. I am using MS VC++ 6.0. I was able to compile and create all
libraries. But I am having problems to compile all samples. I always get linking errors, about unresolved external symbols (always the same 6) such as

unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
unresolved external symbol @[email protected]
unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl operator delete[](void *)" ([email protected]@Z)
unresolved external symbol __ftol2

I've been reviewing installation instructions, changing project options, and reviewing the setup.h but after many trials and changes I'm blocked with this.

Please, any one could help me? Thank you in advance.
Cecilio.

Ryan Norton

Re: unresolved external symbols

Post by Ryan Norton » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:23 am

cecilio wrote:Hi,
I am trying to install wxWidget 2.4.2 for windows. I downloaded and installed it. I am using MS VC++ 6.0. I was able to compile and create all
libraries. But I am having problems to compile all samples. I always get linking errors, about unresolved external symbols (always the same 6) such as

unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie
unresolved external symbol @[email protected]
unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl operator delete[](void *)" ([email protected]@Z)
unresolved external symbol __ftol2

I've been reviewing installation instructions, changing project options, and reviewing the setup.h but after many trials and changes I'm blocked with this.

Please, any one could help me? Thank you in advance.
Cecilio.
This usually happens because you're not linking with the C runtime correctly - try going into your project settings->C/c++->Code Generation and setting the "Use run-time library" to "[Debug] Multithreaded DLL".

Try compiling from the project file for the minimal sample also (samples/minimal/minimal.dsw).

Another reason is that you could be linking with a lib that explicitly relies on static lib support for some reason - that's trickier but rare.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]

cecilio
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by cecilio » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:16 pm

Ray, thank you very much for your help.

Finally, after a lot of trials and changes, I was able to compile the libraries without problems. I don't know where the problem was, as I uninstalled all and started again, but my impresion is that it was a problem with the setup.h file.

Thank you again for answering.

Regards, Cecilio