More OpenGL Depth Buffer Issues (Linux)

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
eventhorizon
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

More OpenGL Depth Buffer Issues (Linux)

Post by eventhorizon »

I briefly posted about this in the other thread, but thought of making a separate thread for this. This isn't related to the GLCanvas of WX, but I have a simulator software project that uses wxWidgets along with the Ogre3D rendering engine, and I've been experiencing a strange problem when trying to use WX with GTK3 on Linux. Previous simulator builds used a WX that was built against GTK2, and those worked fine, but when switching to GTK3, Ogre's OpenGL depth buffer malfunctions, where it appears as if it's turned off or disabled, objects in the back end up being drawn over front objects. Ogre renders to WX by getting the window handle of a wxFrame, and works fine if Ogre creates the render window by itself instead. I posted about this on the Ogre forum too, but am not sure which library is the culprit in this, or if it could even be GTK3 itself. This morning I traced through Ogre's rendering code on both the GTK2 and GTK3 backends and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary with either one, at least yet. I'm not using WX's GL library at all.

I'm mainly using wxWidgets 3.0.5, but tried it in the latest 3.2.1 which has the same result. The compiler I'm using is GCC 12 on Debian Linux. Windows works fine, and I'll try out Mac fairly soon.
eventhorizon
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: More OpenGL Depth Buffer Issues (Linux)

Post by eventhorizon »

I just did a quick test of creating a GTK3 window, getting the handle of it and having Ogre render to it, and that's broken too, so wxWidgets should be fine in this, it appears to be some kind of GTK3 issue.

Update: I was able to confirm that this is an issue with GTK3, not wxWidgets.