any up to date dev install guide for Ubuntu?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
bsenftner
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

any up to date dev install guide for Ubuntu?

Post by bsenftner »

So, I normally work in Windows when working in wxWidgets. I am currently trying to start working on a port of my latest work to Ubuntu, but for the life of me I am just running in circles trying to figure out the correct steps to create the wxWidgets development environment.

Online information tells me a dev version of wxWidgets 2.8 comes with Ubuntu 20 (the Ubuntu version I'm using). But after that the information I'm finding simply assumes the reader lives and breathes Linux package repository lingo. Beyond basic apt-get usage, I'm quickly lost with updating whatever they are talking about. A problem is the Linux gang use nicknames for OS versions and whatnot, and I have no idea what they are saying, when they say "if you're running [nickname] then you'll need [nickname], otherwise you might be running [nickname] as your [nickname] subsystem, and if that, then nickname, nickname nickname..." I have to look it up practically everything, and that constant process leaves me frustrated and with no working dev environment.

Anybody have any recent installation guides for a rare user of Linux/Ubuntu that do not assume the developer knows the nicknames of every freaking whatnot? I start with a completely empty fresh VM, then... please not useless slang instructions.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: any up to date dev install guide for Ubuntu?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Are actually looking for installing a decade ago produced release of wxWidgets?

I suggest downloading 3.1.4, manually compile it and use it in your development.

Thank you
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
..any recent installation guides
I'm sure there are; but, as you've discovered, 'recent' doesn't stay in date forever.
a dev version of wxWidgets 2.8 comes with Ubuntu 20
wx2.8 is definitely not up-to-date! All recent ubuntus come with wx3.0.* And I'm not certain what you mean by ubuntu 20. There's a new ubuntu release every 6 months, in April and October; the current ones are labelled 20.04 (focal) and 20.10 (groovy). The bracketed names are random adjectives, but they increment alphabetically.

Fortunately it's actually not hard to install what you're likely to need. You'll get a minimal but adequate setup by doing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -y libgtk-3-dev pkg-config build-essential libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev
I'd also suggest installing, and using, synaptic as a frontend for apt: it's easier to search for packages with it.

Finally, don't forget that ubuntu isn't the only linux distro. If you intend to distribute binaries, you'll need either to build your program in each target distro/version (as a deb for debian-derived ones, an rpm for fedora/openSUSE etc...) or do something more modern/clever/difficult e.g. create an AppImage.

Regards,

David
bsenftner
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by bsenftner »

Thank you David.

That one "magic' apt install' line" you provide is for some unknown reason not provided by any of the guides I can locate.

I could rant, but I won't.