DPI scaling on MSW and GTK+ builds

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
taliadon
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

DPI scaling on MSW and GTK+ builds

Post by taliadon » Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 am

I'm currently testing a wxWidgets app under both Window and Linux (each using MSW and GTK+ builds respectively), and have noticed a few differences in the way they react to system wide DPI settings.

Under Windows, when the app is deployed on a 2560x1600 monitor with a desktop scaling of 200%, everything appears to render at the correct scale (200%) whilst still returning a full screen panel dimension of 2560x1600. This is precisely the behaviour I was looking for and was achieved by marking the app as DPI aware within the embedded manifest.

Under Linux however, whilst everything appears to render at the correct scale, the dimension of a full screen panel is half that of what I expected (1280x800); it would appear that the Linux build performs naive 2:1 pixel scaling across the board. Does anyone know if it's possible to retain DPI scaling with native resolution, as per the Windows build above?

Also, does anyone know the status quo for OSX builds: should I expect Windows or Linux behaviour on Apple machines?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: DPI scaling on MSW and GTK+ builds

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Wed May 27, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi,
What version of wxWidgets do you use?
HiDPI is still WIP and you should try the application with the latest master to be absolutely sure everything is good.

Thank you.

taliadon
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by taliadon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:56 am

Thanks for the response: I'm currently using version 3.1.3

ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:41 am

Hi,
Couple more questions:

1. What is the precise GTK+ version you are using?
2. What VM you are testing it under?
3. Do you have any non-default theme running?

Thank you.