os x building apps for older versions

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
jdratlif1261
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

os x building apps for older versions

Post by jdratlif1261 »

I've read that the next version of OS X will drop support for 32-bit, so I need to recompile my apps for modern versions of OS X. I haven't used Mac since Lion, but I have a Mac Book with Mojave.

I installed Xcode, but when I try to build wxMac, it tried to build with support for Lion, and it didn't find the SDK to do that. I added a configure parameter, something like -with-mac-osx-min-version=10.14 and it would build, but I think that will make it so that my apps will only work on Mojave and newer.

I'd like to target Yosemite and above (>= 10.10). I picked that one since it's what Chrome says is the oldest version it will run on.

The things I've read online have only confused me. Some say to use older SDKs, to get them from old versions of Xcode and stick them in my Xcode directory somehow. Some say I can use some kind of deployment version target to make sure it will work on older version of OS X (ignoring new features or whatever).

What do I need to do to build software with wxWidgets that is compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and later (including the upcoming 10.15 which won't have 32-bit support)?

Thanks.
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: os x building apps for older versions

Post by evstevemd »

I think Mavericks is the default version supported by default on wxWidgets build (Am using CMake, so not sure bout other builds). So -with-mac-osx-min-version=10.9 should be OK.

About building for 10.15, it won't be possible I guess. Why not have two wxWidgets and then build two version of same app?
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?