wxwidgets app compiled on Deepin OS not working???

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
davidlondonuk
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxwidgets app compiled on Deepin OS not working???

Post by davidlondonuk »

Hi all,

This is a strange one. I have coded a small wxwidgets app that displays png files on an image panel. When I compile it on Ubuntu 18.04 it works perfectly - If I copy the same source-code folder over to deepin-15.8 and run the program it works perfectly. However, when I compile the exact same code on Deepin the png files do not display on either Deepin or on Ubuntu.

There is obviously something wrong with the deepin wxwidgets packages - I have exactly the same build-essential and wxwidgets packages on both Ubuntu and deepin. I know Deepin is now based on Debian unstable and was wondering if anyone had run in to this problem and if there is fix.

Thanks for any help.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxwidgets app compiled on Deepin OS not working???

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
There is obviously something wrong with the deepin wxwidgets packages
...or perhaps with the deepin libpng or its dependencies.

I suggest the first thing you should do is to check which wxWidgets compile/runtime versions you are using on each distro. The easy way to do that is: Ctl-Alt-Middleclick over the running program.

Next is to build and run relevant wxWidgets samples on deepin; they will probably be in a package called wx3.0-examples which installs to /usr/share/doc/wx-examples/ (read the README in /usr/share/doc/wx3.1-examples/examples/README.examples/). Then see if 'image' works; that has pngs.

If it does, then the problem must be elsewhere; perhaps even in your code ;) .

Regards,

David
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
davidlondonuk wrote: Hi all,

This is a strange one. I have coded a small wxwidgets app that displays png files on an image panel. When I compile it on Ubuntu 18.04 it works perfectly - If I copy the same source-code folder over to deepin-15.8 and run the program it works perfectly.
This is not a reliable test - you should recompile the code and produce the new binary on the new OS.
davidlondonuk wrote: However, when I compile the exact same code on Deepin the png files do not display on either Deepin or on Ubuntu.

There is obviously something wrong with the deepin wxwidgets packages - I have exactly the same build-essential and wxwidgets packages on both Ubuntu and deepin. I know Deepin is now based on Debian unstable and was wondering if anyone had run in to this problem and if there is fix.

Thanks for any help.
[/quote]

Check that wx version is the same, png version is the same.
Then try to run the sample as suggested by David.

Thank you.
davidlondonuk
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by davidlondonuk »

Thanks for the answers but it gets worse.

I removed all the debian wxwidgets packages from deepin os, installed gtk-3-dev and compiled wxwidgets-3.0.4 from source - and compiled my app again. The program compiled without a hitch but I still have the same problem - the png files will not display on the image panel??? I'm back to square one.

Wxwidgets compiled with it's built-in png and jpeg code, could that be the problem? I am stumped.

The only error occurred when I ran the program:

dbind-WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

I have no idea what that means??

Thanks for any help.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I can't help with the Linux-side of things, but in any case you should try to narrow down the problem a little more.

Most important: Build and run the "image" sample that comes with wxWidgets. If it displays all images correctly, you know that the problem lies somewhere in your project.

Regarding your project: Find out if the loading of the PNG fails or the display. If the loading fails, check if it also happens when you load a JPG.
Use the source, Luke!