Possible to add items to Gnome 3 application menu?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
fishnet37222
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Possible to add items to Gnome 3 application menu?

Post by fishnet37222 »

I was wondering if it's possible to add items to the Gnome 3 application menu. It's the menu I've placed a black rectangle around in the screenshot below. I'd like to be able to add items such as "About" and "Help" to the menu.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm using the version of wxGTK that's currently in the Ubuntu repository which seems to be version 3.0.4.
Screenshot from 2018-09-21 10-04-14.png
Dave F.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Possible to add items to Gnome 3 application menu?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I presume you are using Ubuntu Unity?
And did you look at the menu sample? Did it run and do what it should?

Thank you.
fishnet37222
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by fishnet37222 »

Ubuntu doesn't use Unity anymore. In 18.04 they're using Gnome Shell. I'm able to add menus to the window itself without any problems. What I want to do is to add items to the menu that appears when you click the application's name in the top bar. You can see what I'm referring to in the screenshot I included with my original post. I drew a rectangle around the menu in question.
Dave F.
Manolo
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by Manolo »

wxWidgets only provides the items that the OS provides. The items in a "window system menu" can be accesed in MSWindows by its GetSystemMenu() call, and you can add items there.

In Linux/GDK things are different. "items" are called "functions". They are set by gdk_window_set_functions() and gdk_window_set_decorations(). See https://developer.gnome.org/gdk3/stable ... ndows.html

The issue is that only some values are accepted, those of GdkWMFunction and GdkWMDecoration.
Thus, in GTK+/GDK you cannot add your own items.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi, Manolo,
I think you misunderstood.
The OP wants to modify GNOME system menu and not add a window anywhere.

But given that - I don't know if it is possible. It might be only an internal GNOME thing and the developer don't have access to it.

Thank you.