Minimum Linux Needed?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
NinjaNL

Minimum Linux Needed?

Post by NinjaNL »

I have a p2 400MHz with 8GB hard drive and 128MB memory.

I am thinking about doing a little cross platform compiling, and wondered as to the simplest basic Linux version that is recommended.

I considered using MinGWStudio for Linux, but it looks dead, and so would also like to know what IDE's are suggested for Linux work.

For Windows I am currently using wx-DevCpp http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/ by Guru Kathiresan. I am currently beta testing version 6.4 and this thing rocks. If it was capable of creating seperate debug and release profiles that would be great, but as it is, for a free of charge product it is really good. If there was something like this for Linux then I don't think that I would look too far further.

So what are your suggestions, I don't want to have Linux and Windows on the same machine, so I am really looking for a low system requirements version of Linux, but one that would let me play around a little with wx Programming.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
For Windows I am currently using wx-DevCpp http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/ by Guru Kathiresan. I am currently beta testing version 6.4 and this thing rocks.
Glad to hear that since Guru and I had some problems getting it work with 2.5.3 :D
I am thinking about doing a little cross platform compiling, and wondered as to the simplest basic Linux version that is recommended.
I guess your setup should be fine. Have a look at mingw for cross-compiling for windows targets. But be warned: It might be slow during compilation.
I considered using MinGWStudio for Linux, but it looks dead, and so would also like to know what IDE's are suggested for Linux work.
IMHO anjuta (http://www.anjuta.org) is the best free IDE on linux. It does have support for wxWidgets.
So what are your suggestions, I don't want to have Linux and Windows on the same machine, so I am really looking for a low system requirements version of Linux, but one that would let me play around a little with wx Programming.
Go ahead and try it out. For GTK only compilation it should be fine, for cross-compiling it might be slow but should work.

Have fun!
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

upCASE wrote:Hi!
For Windows I am currently using wx-DevCpp http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/ by Guru Kathiresan. I am currently beta testing version 6.4 and this thing rocks.
Glad to hear that since Guru and I had some problems getting it work with 2.5.3 :D
Care to elaborate? I am wrestling with the menu construction at the moment, but even with its bugs I am glad it's in there.

upCASE wrote:
I guess your setup should be fine. Have a look at mingw for cross-compiling for windows targets. But be warned: It might be slow during compilation.

Which distribution is best for such a (by todays standards) modest system?

upCASE wrote:
IMHO anjuta (http://www.anjuta.org) is the best free IDE on linux. It does have support for wxWidgets.
Great, I'll look into it.

upCASE wrote:

Go ahead and try it out. For GTK only compilation it should be fine, for cross-compiling it might be slow but should work.

Have fun!
That's the idea.
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
NinjaNL wrote:Which distribution is best for such a (by todays standards) modest system?
Good question... :D I'm using Fedora Core 2 here and it works just fine (even in Virtual PC after some hacking). Gentoo seems to be very popular, too.
NinjaNL wrote:I am wrestling with the menu construction at the moment, but even with its bugs I am glad it's in there.
wxDev-C++ isn't my project. I compile the devpack used by it and Guru does the rest :D
What seems to be the problem with menus? If it's a specific problem better open a new thread instead of posting it here.

When compiling I'd recommend to do at least two builds of the lib. One with GTK 1.x support, one with GTK 2.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

upCASE wrote:
NinjaNL wrote:Which distribution is best for such a (by todays standards) modest system?
Good question... :D I'm using Fedora Core 2 here and it works just fine (even in Virtual PC after some hacking). Gentoo seems to be very popular, too.
I'll look into Fedora.

upCASE wrote:
NinjaNL wrote:I am wrestling with the menu construction at the moment, but even with its bugs I am glad it's in there.
wxDev-C++ isn't my project. I compile the devpack used by it and Guru does the rest :D
What seems to be the problem with menus? If it's a specific problem better open a new thread instead of posting it here.

No need, I post everything to the bugtracker at Sourceforge. That was just a throw away comment.