[wxGTK] - Ho to install the source (.cpp) files for debugging ?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
tomay3000
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

[wxGTK] - Ho to install the source (.cpp) files for debugging ?

Post by tomay3000 »

Hello,
I have followed the installation instructions located in this page http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/WxWidgets31Binaries#toc2 to install wxGTK. All went without problems (I can compile code using it), but the only problem is how can I install source (.cpp) files for debugging !?

Thank you.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [wxGTK] - Ho to install the source (.cpp) files for debugging ?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

Have you tried debugging? Have you installed all the debug packages (you don't say which distro you're using, so I can't list them by name)? AFAIK they should contain enough symbol information that you don't necessarily need the real source files.

However if I'm wrong, or you want to see them anyway, just download and extract the wx3.1.1 source. Though you can probably get that by installing the source rpm, or doing apt-get source, from the same place as you got the binaries, it would be simpler to download the official wx tarball.

Regards,

David
tomay3000
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by tomay3000 »

DavidHart wrote:Have you tried debugging?
YES
DavidHart wrote:Have you installed all the debug packages
YES
DavidHart wrote:you don't say which distro you're using
, Linux Mint 18.3 cinnamon x64 and wxWidgets 3.1.1 both GTK+2 and GTK+3 installed.
DavidHart wrote:AFAIK they should contain enough symbol information that you don't necessarily need the real source files.
I can debug into the .h files but not into the .cpp files because there are not present!
DavidHart wrote:Though you can probably get that by installing the source rpm, or doing apt-get source, from the same place as you got the binaries

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get source wxwidgets3.1

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for wxwidgets3.1
is my only option the official wx tarball ? if so, how to copy the source files to the system (I mean which location ?)

Thank you
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

sudo apt-get source wxwidgets3.1
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for wxwidgets3.1
Do you have the relevant 'deb-src' line active in you /etc/apt/sources.list ?
is my only option the official wx tarball ? if so, how to copy the source files to the system (I mean which location ?)
I've no idea. I've been debugging programs on Linux for 15 years and not needed to do that.

You could try googling for an answer. However it would probably be faster and more reliable for you to build your own wx3.1.1 from source, build your program against that, and then debug.