Error launching "minimal" under Windows 10

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Error launching "minimal" under Windows 10

Post by dbetz »

I installed release 3.1.1 using the Windows installer under Windows 10 and built the libraries as indicated in the instructions. I then built the "minimal" example application. All of these builds completed without any problems. However, when I try to run the "minimal" application, I get the following error:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
I've used all of the defaults during installation and building the app. What would cause this error?

Thanks,
David
doublemax

Re: Error launching "minimal" under Windows 10

Post by doublemax »

Which Compiler did you use? And if you used a command line, which exact command?
Use the source, Luke!
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm using Visual Studio Community Edition 2017.
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

doublemax wrote:Which Compiler did you use? And if you used a command line, which exact command?
Command line was:

Code: Select all

nmake /f makefile.vc
This was both for compiling the libraries and compiling the sample program.
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

Here is the error I found when running sxstrace as suggested:
ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I've never seen that error before. I'm a little confused by the fact that it mentions "amd64" and "win32", but i'm not sure if it means anything. Did you make a 32bit or 64bit build?

Can you try building both the library and the minimal sample through the solution files?
Use the source, Luke!
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

I tried building the libraries using the wx_vc15.sln solution and got the following error:
Error MSB8036 The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution".
I tried retargeting to Windows SDK Versioin 10.0.15063.0 which was the only choice and still got the same error. Does WxWidgets only work with SDK 8.1?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Does WxWidgets only work with SDK 8.1?
No, but that's the version that was chosen as default in the solution files. I think the latest version from GIT has code that automatically chooses one that is really installed.

I still have no idea about the error though. Googling didn't find anything helpful either.
Use the source, Luke!
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

I played around with it a little more and it seems like the retargeting option doesn't work recursively to do the entire solution. I have to do it individually for each piece. I tried it on a few and it seemed to work. I'll finish the rest of them to see if that solves my problem. Thanks for your help.
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

BTW, what is your recommended toolchain for building under Windows? Is it MinGW?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I tried it on a few and it seemed to work.
I think you can select them all and change all at once.
what is your recommended toolchain for building under Windows? Is it MinGW?
I personally use VS exclusively, but MinGW seems more popular.
Use the source, Luke!
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

Everything is working now. Thanks for your help!
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

BTW, compiling the library and the minimal sample with MSVC 2017's nmake certainly works, I just tried. Perhaps you mixed settting up the build environment?

BTW2, I may be biased but at least for my needs (MSW only) I find MSVC superior (e.g. the debugging) to other IDEs. OTOH, those IDEs (CodeLite, Code::Blocks) may have some things other people appreciate, such as built-in wxWidgets support (project templates, integrated GUI editor...).
dbetz
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by dbetz »

PB wrote:BTW, compiling the library and the minimal sample with MSVC 2017's nmake certainly works, I just tried. Perhaps you mixed settting up the build environment?
I just followed the instructions in the docs\msw\install.txt file and it didn't say anything about setting up a build environment. How do I do that?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

dbetz wrote: I just followed the instructions in the docs\msw\install.txt file and it didn't say anything about setting up a build environment. How do I do that?
I meant what the docs describe as step 0
Open a "Visual Studio Command Prompt" window shortcut to which
must have been installed to the "Start" menu or the "Start" screen
by MSVS installation.
I call the batch file directly, e.g. for the 32-bit build of the library I have a batch file that when simplified a lot looks something like this (please notice I am using the Express edition, so the path would be different for you)

cd %WXWIN%\build\MSW
set "VSCMD_START_DIR=%cd%"
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\WDExpress\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars32.bat"

nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=debug 
nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=release
For the 64-bit build the third line from above is replaced with

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\WDExpress\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat"
But if you followed exactly same procedure for building both the library and the sample, I do not see how it could have failed...

If you do not need to customize the build, building with the IDE (or msbuild) can be (much) faster as it uses parallel building.

BTW, there is CMake-based build which can be quite handy. It offers superior options and friendliness (with CMakeGUI) for customization and can produce both nmakefiles and MSVC solutions.