Different theme depending on if app is run from Visual Studio or not Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
subi211
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Different theme depending on if app is run from Visual Studio or not

Post by subi211 »

I've found that when my WX app is launched from Visual Studio is has a different appearance to when it's launched normally:
wx_launched_from_visual_studio_and_explorer.png
wx_launched_from_visual_studio_and_explorer.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
At a first guess, I would presume it's picking up the style from VS when launched from there, but obviously not from Explorer.

The problem is that is makes it a bit awkward to position and size new controls if the style is different, and to be perfectly honest I prefer how VS is making it look anyway. :) So can anyone tell me what's actually causing this, and how I can keep the style cause by VS?

I've found this on Windows 7 and 10, using both VS 2012 and 2015.
eranon
Can't get richer than this

Re: Different theme depending on if app is run from Visual Studio or not

Post by eranon »

It sounds like you don't have manifest matching your executable when you launch it from outside Visual Studio. I don't use VS, so I can't tell you if it manages some default manifest when an app is ran from within it, but what I know is that your finale app needs an embedded manifest (using the mt.exe tool -- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx) or a one as file beside your exe (in the same directory).
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]
subi211
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by subi211 »

Excellent, that was it. Thanks! :)

We're using JAM as a build process, so the embed obviously wasn't getting done.

For anyone else, this is the required mt call:

Code: Select all

mt -manifest application.exe.manifest -outputresource:application.exe;1
I found simply having the manifest in the same directory as the executable was unreliable, so it's safer to embed.
eranon

Post by eranon »

Cool! Yes, of course, unless special need (eg. if the app manages a set of manifests for itself to obtain different behaviors), the manifest has to be embedded in your finale RELEASE build. On my part, I use a separated manifest for any DEBUG build. This way, I can easily modify it afterward and see the effect on my app... So, just a facility during dev cycle (not for the finale release).

Also, be awware that wxWidgets itself can provide its own manifest if wxUSE_NO_MANIFEST is O... I don't remember the default (1 or 0), but in my apps I'm used to "#define wxUSE_NO_MANIFEST 1" to be sure it will not conflict with my own embedding (and because, I experienced an issue with wxWidgets 3.0 in the past: it provided a manifest saying AMD64 for a 32-bit build; since this date I only go my way at post-build stage).
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]