Uninstalling wxWidgets 3.0.2 Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Uninstalling wxWidgets 3.0.2

Post by Azrael »

Hello,
I was having some problems with wxWidgets so I tried to uninstall it and install it again. I used synaptic ( Ubuntu ) to uninstall the packages. Out of curiosity, i went into my usr/include folder and surprisingly i found a folder "wx 3.0" with all the headers there. Synaptic tells me I don't have the packages installed on my computer(at the moment). I used the "Mark for complete removal" so i don't understand why i still have those files.
What happens if i try to install them again with synaptic?
Thank you!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Uninstalling wxWidgets 3.0.2

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Can't you just do:

Code: Select all

rm -rf wx3.0
?

Thank you.
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

ONEEYEMAN wrote:Hi,
Can't you just do:

rm -rf wx3.0
?

Thank you.
Thank you for answering! It's not a problem to remove them. I just wanted to understand why weren't they removed with the other files. It's strange (or maybe it's just me)
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
What is left in this directory?
If it's only wx-config - don't worry about it - that's how "make clean" works in wxWidgets.

But it is better to remove this, because it might interfere with any possible future install/compile of the library.

Thank you.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

wxWidgets in debianish distros like ubuntu comes in multiple packages. The libs are in libwx*30, the dev files in libwx*30-dev etc. But there are others too e.g. docs, examples and headers. The headers package is wx3.0-headers and installs to /usr/include/wx-3.0.

Perhaps you missed that one when you asked synaptic which were still installed.

Regards,

David
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

ONEEYEMAN wrote:Hi,
What is left in this directory?
That directory contained headers and other directories with other headers.

I deleted it and reinstalled the library. Now there's another problem. I have a project in c++ using wxWidgets library. I was working on it before i removed the packages. Now that i installed them again I tried to run the program.
Everything seems like before : the compiling and the linking didn't produce errors. However, now I have something like this:
http://imgur.com/a/0Nzwd

Almost every class from wxWidgets is "unknown" to my IDE. When I pass with my mouse over them it says "Can't resolve type 'wxTimer' " ( example) or "Can't resolve constructor ' wxMenu ' ".But it compiles :-? Things like these.I have the headers I need and they worked fine before.
Also, some of the classes are okay. I mean, they don't display those messages (wxString for example).

I don't even know if I should ask you here. If it's against the rules I'm sorry.
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

DavidHart wrote: Perhaps you missed that one when you asked synaptic which were still installed.
You know the little green square in synaptic that tells you if that package is installed? I marked all of them. I couldn't miss a package. I guess the headers were installed automatically with some package but they didn't get deleted. Actually, as ONEEYEMAN suggested, i deleted them myself.
I wrote in the terminal:

sudo apt-get -s autoremove
In the list there was the folder I was talking about. This means that i was responsible for deleting them, no?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

You know the little green square in synaptic that tells you if that package is installed?
Yes indeed.
I marked all of them. I couldn't miss a package
It depends on the search string. 'wx' would have caught wx3.0-headers but 'libwx' or 'wx-' obviously wouldn't. Anyway, it's unimportant now.
Everything seems like before : the compiling and the linking didn't produce errors. However, now I have something like this:
http://imgur.com/a/0Nzwd
Did you reinstall everything, including the libwx*-media ones? If you open a terminal, do you see all the necessary libs in the output of:
wx-config --libs all
Almost every class from wxWidgets is "unknown" to my IDE. When I pass with my mouse over them it says "Can't resolve type 'wxTimer' " ( example) or "Can't resolve constructor ' wxMenu ' ".But it compiles :-? Things like these.I have the headers I need and they worked fine before.
Also, some of the classes are okay. I mean, they don't display those messages (wxString for example).
It's hard to comment sensibly without knowing which IDE. If it's the one I use, CodeLite, you might need to do 'Workspace > Parse workspace'.
I don't even know if I should ask you here. If it's against the rules I'm sorry
Not a major issue, but it might have been better to have started a new thread, in the 'Compiler/Linking/IDE Related' subforum.
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

DavidHart wrote: It depends on the search string. 'wx' would have caught wx3.0-headers but 'libwx' or 'wx-' obviously wouldn't.
You are right on that! I searched for libwx. I should have paid more attention.
Did you reinstall everything, including the libwx*-media ones? If you open a terminal, do you see all the necessary libs in the output of:
wx-config --libs all
This is what i get from

wx-config --libs all

-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -pthread 
   -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_webview-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_stc-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_richtext-3.0
   -lwx_gtk2u_ribbon-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_propgrid-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_aui-3.0
   -lwx_gtk2u_gl-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_media-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_qa-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0 
   -lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0
   -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0
   -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 
   -lwx_baseu-3.0 
This is what I have in synaptic.http://imgur.com/a/HKNQx
It's hard to comment sensibly without knowing which IDE
You are right. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it. I use Clion from jetbrains.

You said "parse workspace". What does it exactly do? Maybe Clion has a similar option.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

This is what i get from wx-config --libs all
That looks fine, and so is the synaptic image.
To make sure I'm not misunderstanding you, what is now failing? Is it just the code-completion/intellisense issue, or do you have a build problem too. If the latter, please would you paste here the first error message, plus the previous few lines.
You said "parse workspace". What does it exactly do? Maybe Clion has a similar option.
An IDE that does code-completion or similar needs to know where to look for the answers, and either to have looked there and stored the information (that's CodeLite's standard method) or the look it up 'on the fly' (as CodeLite does when using clang).
I know nothing about Clion but it must do one or both of those, and it must have some menu entry or workspace option that says to do so, or to refresh its cache.
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

To make sure I'm not misunderstanding you, what is now failing?
The program is not failing. It compiles and it links to wxWidgets. I don't get any errors after building it. It's the intellisense that bothers me.
I do get a runtime error but I had it even before removing the library (actually, that's the reason i decided to remove it in the first place). I already opened a topic on that (there are no replies though).
it must have some menu entry or workspace option that says to do so, or to refresh its cache.
I searched and found this option in Clion: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/clion/cl ... cache.html
It's what i was searching for, no ?
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

I suspect it's more https://www.jetbrains.com/help/clion/au ... -code.html and https://www.jetbrains.com/help/clion/co ... etion.html, but I'm not sure that theyt tell you how to set it up in the first place.

Perhaps a Clion forum would be a better place to search, or ask...
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

I'll look for a clion forum then. Thank you for the replies !
Azrael
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Azrael »

Update:
After restarting Clion (because of an update) my problem was gone . Hope that helps someone in the future.