wxComboBox appearance with GTK3

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
nmset
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

wxComboBox appearance with GTK3

Post by nmset »

Hello,

The link below show a screen capture of the samples 'combo' application, built with a GTK3 wxWidgets build. Line 1100 (colSizer->SetSizeHints( dlg );) has been commented to allow resizing of the dialog. After launching the 'combo' sample app, 'File/Compare against wxComboBox' menu is selected.

It shows that the button of a wxComboBox gets badly placed when the dialog's width is decreased. It slides over the text box part. Same result with any GTK3 theme. This does not happen in GTK2 builds.

I wish to know if it's an old known issue, if it's related to wxWidgets or GTK, and if there's a known workaround.

Thank you.

https://mega.nz/#!YU8DXKqR!ESY716bZ7hm_ ... 9g4Za0XROU
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxComboBox appearance with GTK3

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,
I wish to know if it's an old known issue
If you are testing using the latest git wx3.1 (and if you aren't, you should) then it's either not known or not fixed.
You can search for known issues at wx trac.
if it's related to wxWidgets or GTK
Almost certainly the underlying cause will be gtk+3, or that particular version of it. Any bug-report you make should include the gtk+3 versions that you tested it on.

However I think it's worth mentioning a more general point: if any control, any dialog, is squashed hard enough, something has to 'give'. Setting minimum sizes for things, as wx does internally with its 'best size' concept, helps protect against this.

Regards,

David
nmset
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Re: wxComboBox appearance with GTK3

Post by nmset »

I'm indeed using wxWidgets from git, and GTK3 version is 3.22.12+6+g42aa4c138c-1, on Arch Linux.

I've found this report with a sizing issue : http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17585
It doesn't seem to be the same issue and it's solved.

I'll report it anyway.

Thanks.