wxQt

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
BobN77
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxQt

Post by BobN77 »

Is it at all feasible (either currently, or with continued future development/enhancement) to think of using the wxQt port in a more broad "generic" manner than that for which it appears to have been designed ? In other words, to use wxQt as a basis for mobile apps that could run on iOS, Android, and even Windows Phone ? Since Qt supports those platforms, could Qt be used to abstract away the platform specifics of all of those, and provide a single API which wx could wrap ?

The reason I ask this is because I have written an app based on wxMSW, and I would like to port it to mobile devices. Will I need to abandon wx and rewrite my app's UI in something like Qt or JUCE ? Or is there any hope that something like wxQt could get me there ? The Android and/or iOS ports of wx seem like other options. However, my first interest is Windows Phone. Secondly, getting my app running on a single port of wx (wxQt) seems like it would be easier that having to use two or three separate wx ports to cover all possibilities.
doublemax

Re: wxQt

Post by doublemax »

In other words, to use wxQt as a basis for mobile apps that could run on iOS, Android, and even Windows Phone ? Since Qt supports those platforms, could Qt be used to abstract away the platform specifics of all of those, and provide a single API which wx could wrap ?
I think that was the main motivation behind the Qt port anyway.

But i haven't heard of anyone who actually did this. I'd by quite interested myself to see if this works.
Use the source, Luke!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
I believe the last GSoC proved it.

The work by Mariano Reingard was done with exactly that aim in mind. And he did developed the Android app.

I just don't remember if he put it in the Android Store....

Thank you.
BobN77
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BobN77 »

Thanks for your comments.

Maybe this is not a crazy idea ?
How would I get started ?

I assume I'd need to somehow make a build of wxQt on Windows, since my first interest is to make a version of my app for Windows Phone.
Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions on how to do this ?
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

The only documentation i could find is in <wxdir>/docs/qt/ , but it doesn't mention building wxQT under Windows, only Linux.

If that doesn't help you, please ask on the wx-users mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wx-users
Use the source, Luke!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Building wxQt on Windows most likely is not supported. And since there is no maintainer for wxQt I think that you are on you own.
You can try cross-compiling wxQt for Windows on Linux and see if it works.

Thank you.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

BTW, it looks like wxQt was added for consideration for current year GSoC.
Hopefully its not too late and this project will be added.