What application on OSX do I use to package my program into an installer? Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
DavidKlecker
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

What application on OSX do I use to package my program into an installer?

Post by DavidKlecker »

I guess the title says it all. I have compiled my wxWidgets program in OSX and now I need a way to package it into an installer so I can distribute it. It would be nice to get this into some kind of .DMG. I've looked around but some applications are junk. I was wondering if anyone here who uses OSX has a method to create an installer for distribution and wouldn't mind sharing what they do and what they use.

Thanks!
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: What application on OSX do I use to package my program into an installer?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Did you compile it as a bundle?

Thank you.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I don't work under OSX, but AFAIK you don't create an installer like you would under Windows. Instead you just create a .DMG image that has a link to the Applications folder and the user has to drag your app into that folder.

http://ramezanpour.net/post/2014/05/12/ ... s-in-os-x/
Use the source, Luke!
DavidKlecker
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by DavidKlecker »

ONEEYEMAN wrote:Hi,
Did you compile it as a bundle?

Thank you.
It's possible. That would be the defining characteristic of that so I can check and the alternative characteristic if it is not? Also, if not, obviously then CodeBlocks doesn't automatically have this set which means I would have to set it. Do you happen to know what setting that would be?

Thanks!
DavidKlecker
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by DavidKlecker »

doublemax wrote:I don't work under OSX, but AFAIK you don't create an installer like you would under Windows. Instead you just create a .DMG image that has a link to the Applications folder and the user has to drag your app into that folder.

http://ramezanpour.net/post/2014/05/12/ ... s-in-os-x/
That site is really helpful. Hopefully it works. In addition to my application file I have additional XML files and other miscellaneous files such as html, text files and pictures all situated into a rather specific file folder structure that need to go with it as well.
DavidKlecker
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by DavidKlecker »

That site should do it. a DMG is just a packaged file so all the folders and structure should be present. I think this will work fine. Thanks for the link!
eranon
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by eranon »

Hello,

Effectivelly, the first step is to create a bundle (ie. .app) embedding your executable; the wxWidgets samples are built as .app, so you can take a look inside.

Then, you can go the easy .dmg way or create a real installer/uninstaller allowing a better control on the process. For my own programs, I'm using Packages: http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html. This way, I distibute a .pkg.
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]