wxGTK 3.1, debug wxMediaCtrl

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
goeba
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxGTK 3.1, debug wxMediaCtrl

Post by goeba »

Hi,

I haven´t been around for quite some time, so I´ve posted this on the mailing list, too. Which is more active nowadays, the forum or the mailing list?

I use wxMediaCtrl to play mp3-files. My general problem is that I don´t get useful error-messages when something goes wrong.

Playing mp3 works fine as long as I use the app on my own machine (Opensuse Leap 42.1, 64 bit).

I need to deploy the application in a 32/64 bit mixed network that uses OpenSuSE 13.2 (some machines 64 bit, some 32 bit, most of them kde desktop, some xfce).

So I installed OpenSuSE 13.2 32 bit in a virtual machine and compiled my application.

When I start it there and try to play a file, I get the error:
Media Playback error: could not initialize Xv output. I guess that I need to install some packages (advice on this very welcome), but Xv probably stands for X Video, and it´s only a sound file! Is there a way to tell wxMediaCtrl that video is not needed?

When I start that 32 bit application (gstreamer 32 bit installed, of course) on my 64 bit machine, I get a different error. This is issued directly at startup:
Got an invalid playbin (error 2: No such file or directory)
Got an invalid playbin (error 0: Success).

I compiled a debug version in the hope that there would be some debug-messages, but nothing. I´d like to know which file or directory is missing. I have already installed all kinds of gstreamer-plugins-32bit, but no improvement.

If I continue to use the app, wxMediaFile::Load returns "false". Is there a way to find out why ::Load fails?

Thanks for your advice,

Andreas
goeba
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Re: wxGTK 3.1, debug wxMediaCtrl

Post by goeba »

Hi,

I have found out how to debug gstreamer programs. There is an environment variable that controls the amount of messages given on the command line, see here:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/ ... nning.html

This, however, didn´t help me to solve my original problem. I didn´t manage to make my program function on any machine but one.

I conclude that wxMediaCtrl isn´t suitable for playing mp3 files in general, at least on linux. This might be different on other platforms where mp3s are supported out of the box by the native backend.

I have altered my program to play mp3 files via vlc media player.