Differences with modal dialogs

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Differences with modal dialogs

Post by lollisoft »

Hi,

I have experienced modal dialog issues on Windows. When showing a modal dialog using this code, the OnIdle handler is called compared to OS X where it is not called:

Code: Select all

wxMessageDialog dialog(NULL, msg, windowTitle, wxOK);
        dialog.ShowModal();
Does passing a parent window stopping OnIdle handling, or should I work with a flag?

Thanks, Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Differences with modal dialogs

Post by tierra »

I would rather look for alternative ways to handle any processing you have in your idle event handler, and moving it to something more reliable, like a timer. Using idle events is rarely the appropriate choice. What are you processing in your idle event handler?

If that route doesn't appeal to you, you should probably be more specific about what version of wxWidgets you're using, which port (specifically important on OS X is whether it's wxMac, wxOSX/Cocoa, or wxOSX/Carbon), and what version of OS X you're on.