No menu bar

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
rhill37
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

No menu bar

Post by rhill37 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:11 am

Ubuntu 14.04
Code::Blocks 13.12
wx Widgets 2.8.12 or 3.0.0
GNU GCC compiler
Can not get the menu bar to appear in main frame using system shown. No help so far on Ubuntu forums. Have not had this problem under Windows.
I would be grateful for assistance with this.

DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No menu bar

Post by DavidHart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 am

Hi,

I presume you're using unity. Unity does strange things...

For reasons best known to ubuntu, the menubar entries for the active program are supposed to appear at the top of the screen, in a sort of screen menubar, when the mouse touches it. No, I'm not joking; they really think that's a good idea :?.
See the attached screenshot of a wx program in a 14.04 Vbox guest. You'll see the 4Pane menubar entries are shown in the screen menubar (which the mouse was hovering over, though the screenshot didn't pick it up).

Does that happen for your program? If not, does it happen for the wx samples e.g. 'minimal'?

Regards,

David
Attachments
UbuntuScreenshot.png

eranif

Post by eranif » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 pm

DavidHart wrote:For reasons best known to ubuntu, the menubar entries for the active program are supposed to appear at the top of the screen
This is the Mac way, they simply copied it from Apple

Eran
IDE: CodeLite + wxCrafter
https://wxcrafter.codelite.org
https://codelite.org

rhill37
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by rhill37 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:11 pm

DavidHart wrote:Hi,

I presume you're using unity. Unity does strange things...

For reasons best known to ubuntu, the menubar entries for the active program are supposed to appear at the top of the screen, in a sort of screen menubar, when the mouse touches it. No, I'm not joking; they really think that's a good idea :?.
See the attached screenshot of a wx program in a 14.04 Vbox guest. You'll see the 4Pane menubar entries are shown in the screen menubar (which the mouse was hovering over, though the screenshot didn't pick it up).

Does that happen for your program? If not, does it happen for the wx samples e.g. 'minimal'?

Regards,

David

Solved! You have shed light into a dark corner! I have not been using Unity all that long but I should have picked up on this.

Thank you,
Robert