Any plans to port wxWidgets to Ios,Android or WinRt?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Awareness
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Any plans to port wxWidgets to Ios,Android or WinRt?

Post by Awareness » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 am

Are there any plans to port wxWidgets to Ios,Android,Winrt or Windows Phone 8?

doublemax

Re: Any plans to port wxWidgets to Ios,Android or WinRt?

Post by doublemax » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 am

There is some working code for wxIOS, but it hasn't been touched for over two years now. Which is a shame, because it looks like it's not far away from being usable.
http://youtu.be/PTbFj9dqROs

There are bounties for an Android port and a few people on the mailing list claimed to have started work on it, buy nothing ever showed up.

No sign for WindowsRT/Phone 8.

IOW: Forget about wx for smart phone development.
Use the source, Luke!

Awareness
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Awareness » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks for your answer.

BobN77
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BobN77 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Now that Win10 is coming out next month, and runs on phones, is there any hope for wx on a Windows phone ?
Not WinRT, but "real" Windows 10. Would it be possible to build the Windows version of wx for a Windows phone ?

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Would it be possible to build the Windows version of wx for a Windows phone ?
In order to run on Windows Phone an application had to use the "Windows Runtime" API. From a wxWidgets point of view that would be a complete new port. With the iOS port stalled for 4 years and the Android port stuck in pre-alpha stage, i think the chances to see a Windows Runtime port are practically zero. There is just not enough development man power.
Use the source, Luke!

BobN77
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BobN77 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:33 am

I'm not referring to the current Windows Phone OS. I am referring to Windows 10, which is supposed to be a unified API across all platforms from desktop to phone, etc. If there is truly only one Windows API, then would it really be a new port of wx ? I can understand that creating a new port is a lot of work. But if Microsoft creates some magic that allows any Windows app to run on any hardware that supports Windows 10, then maybe instead of a Windows Phone port of wx, it would be only an adaptation of the existing Windows version of wx to work on the Windows 10 universal API. Do any developers have any details about what Microsoft is doing for Windows 10, and how it might impact wx ?

doublemax

Post by doublemax » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 am

I am referring to Windows 10, which is supposed to be a unified API across all platforms from desktop to phone, etc.
By my understanding that is Windows Runtime.
But if Microsoft creates some magic that allows any Windows app to run on any hardware that supports Windows 10
It's not that simple. If an application uses Windows Runtime, it can run on Windows 10 and Windows Phone. If an application uses the "classic" Win32 API like wxWidgets, it will only run on the Desktop versions. It's not just a matter of writing a couple of wrapper classes, Windows Runtime is *very* different.

But then again, i haven't looked into this very deeply, maybe there is something that i missed or misunderstood.
Use the source, Luke!

BobN77
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by BobN77 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Here is some info about Microsoft's Project Centennial :

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/timman ... -Apps.aspx

https://youtu.be/EnykyP3pYgE

72deluxe
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by 72deluxe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Not continuing on the Windows 10 front, but anyway:

There was some mention of the wxAndroid port in the Google Summer of Code project last year (http://wxwidgets.blogspot.com/2014/04/a ... unced.html) but I do not know how it turned out. The most difficult part is that Android relies on its apps being mainly Java based, using the SDK. The native development kit is available (NDK) for writing apps in C and C++ but they have restricted STL implementations I think, and it would require either:

1. drawing all of the GUI controls to the Android windowing system manually, using something like ANativeWindow https://source.android.com/devices/grap ... tivewindow) or NativeActivity (http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... ivity.html)

2. drawing the GUI controls natively in Java, but allowing callbacks to/from the NDK underneath.

Either way is pretty horrible; the NDK stresses that you really shouldn't be writing apps for Android in C++ unless you have to. I always think that the disparity in interfaces and Android activity program flow would be a real barrier to wxWidgets.

Besides, if you write Java for Android there are more chances of employment as it is another skill you'll have! After all, Java is like dumbed-down C++ isn't it? :D
The same goes for Swift (or Objective-C and the unfortunate amount of time you'll have invested in learning it, only to discover it is being replaced with Swift).

tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:46 am

72deluxe wrote:Either way is pretty horrible; the NDK stresses that you really shouldn't be writing apps for Android in C++ unless you have to. I always think that the disparity in interfaces and Android activity program flow would be a real barrier to wxWidgets.
That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. Qt was early enough to jump on top of this with their mobile ports, and despite that, no-one is using them still, and they pretty much just ditched the main Qt libraries to build out an entirely new mobile-specific library. You still can't take a traditional Qt desktop app, and recompile it to just work on mobile. I think it's all wasted effort trying to mold a desktop GUI toolkit onto mobile UIs, regardless of whether it's cross-platform or not.

This wasn't the first attempt at building a viable wxAndroid port, but I honestly think it's going to be the last. If anything, the iOS port has a significantly better chance, yet it's still not getting off the ground either.