Compiling wxWidgets for Windows x64 Editions

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Frontier
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Compiling wxWidgets for Windows x64 Editions

Post by Frontier » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 am

Hello,

I am trying to compile the latest wxWidgets distribution (2.6.1) for my Windows XP x64 box, using the free Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK (available as a free download from h**p://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.asp ... laylang=en). This SDK contains cross-compilers for x64 and IA64 architectures - I am only interested in the AMD64 (x86-64) architecture. The SDK can be used even if you do not have Visual Studio .NET 2003 (I am using it with it).

After issuing the following build command (by following the build procedure described in the manual):

nmake -f makefile.vc BUILD=release UNICODE=1 MONOLITHIC=1 USE_GUI=1 USE_OPENGL=1 USE_ODBC=1 USE_HTML=1 RUNTIMELIBS=static DEBUG_FLAG=0 DEBUG_INFO=0 CFG=x64

the compilation stops - after some time - reporting the following error:

..\..\src\common\variant.cpp(392) : warning C4267: 'argument' : conversion from
'size_t' to 'wxUint32', possible loss of data
..\..\src\common\variant.cpp(712) : error C2666: 'wxCharBuffer::operator`[]'' :
2 overloads have similar conversions
..\..\include\wx\buffer.h(96): could be 'char wxCharBuffer::operator [](
size_t) const'
or 'built-in C++ operator[(const char *, unsigned int)'
while trying to match the argument list '(const wxCharBuffer, unsigned i
nt)'

The same build command operates fine under the 32-bit compiler. I am using the standard setup.h file as it came with the distribution, with the only noticeable change of enabling ODBC support.

Any ideas what should be changed - most noticeably WHERE - so that code is not broken?

Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Frontier

OS: Windows XP Professional/SP1 x64 Edition, Windows XP Professional/SP2, Windows 2000 Professional, SuSE Linux 10 Professional
wxWidgets: 2.6.2
Compiler: Visual C++ 8
IDE: Visual Studio 2005 Professional