wxMac: witch Mac Mini? Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxMac: witch Mac Mini?

Post by ssigala »

Hello, I would like to buy a new Mac Mini for porting my wx apps.

I would like to know how much disk space is left after the installation of OS X Tiger, XCode and wxMac, just to decide what kind of model to buy: the one with 40GB harddisk or the one with 80GB.

Thanks,
Sandro
Sandro Sigala - Kynosoft, Brescia
Ryan Norton
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Re: wxMac: witch Mac Mini?

Post by Ryan Norton »

ssigala wrote:Hello, I would like to buy a new Mac Mini for porting my wx apps.

I would like to know how much disk space is left after the installation of OS X Tiger, XCode and wxMac, just to decide what kind of model to buy: the one with 40GB harddisk or the one with 80GB.

Thanks,
Sandro
I've got an ibook with 30GB and I've rarely even had it half full, but YMMV.
[Mostly retired moderator, still check in to clean up some stuff]
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

If all you want to do is develop your app, you definitely don't need the 80 GB drive. You could build every imaginable configuration of wxWidgets and it probably wouldn't take more than a couple gigs, and XCode and the OS are only in the gigabytes range. Personally for development I'd be more concerned about the CPU speed and memory than hard drive space, so I'd probably get the 1.42 GHz CPU rather than the 1.25 GHz CPU, which here in the States also happens to come with built-in wireless and bluetooth and the larger hard drive. A bargain in my book.
KevinHock
Filthy Rich wx Solver
Filthy Rich wx Solver

Post by KevinHock »

I develop on a 10 GB drive using Panther and XCode. 8)
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala »

Thanks for the answers! Do you know if the difference between 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz versions is really noticeable in compiling wx code?

And 512MB are enough or the Mac is swapping from the disk all the time during compilation?

Thanks in advance,
Sandro
ssigala
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ssigala »

ssigala wrote:Thanks for the answers! Do you know if the difference between 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz versions is really noticeable in compiling wx code?
Ok, I have found the answers myself to my FAQ :)

http://www.byodkm.net/forums/archive/in ... t-960.html
http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/m ... rison/all/
Ryan Wilcox
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by Ryan Wilcox »

KevinHock wrote:If all you want to do is develop your app, you definitely don't need the 80 GB drive.
I would say the size of the drive depends on how many different versions of OS X you plan to support. If you support OS X 10.3 and OS X 10.4 you'll need to partition your drive, and install a copy of the OS and developer tools on each drive

If you plan on installing a PPC linux variant, you'll need Yet Another Partition and Yet More software and stuff installed.

(You might as well figure this stuff out now, so when you get the machine you can wipe the drive and partition it, if need be, then restore (using the Restore CD) on partition (your OS X 10.4 partition).

Having said all that, 80GB should be enough for even that. If I were you I would plan on about 5-10GB for a OS + Developer tools. My main machine has 20GB partitions and I have less than 4GB of space left... but I've got lots of files and state on it.

HTH
Ryan Wilcox
Wilcox Development Solutions
http://www.wilcoxd.com