Tool Tip does not show on MAC OSX

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
viveksha
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Tool Tip does not show on MAC OSX

Post by viveksha »

Hello Everybody,
I have got a problem using wxWidgets. On windows lets say for wxListCtrl If the column size is less that the string then we show ... at the end and if we change the size of column we can see the whole string. In a different scenario if we mouse over to the string then it shows the whole string as tool tip on windows but on MAC this functionality is not there.
Could any one please let me know that is this any limitation in wxWidgets or i am doing anything wrong.
I am using wxWidgets 2.9 and my project is in C++.
Thanks and Regards,
Vivek
doublemax

Re: Tool Tip does not show on MAC OSX

Post by doublemax »

I don't know about OSX, but i know that this is a feature of the native control under Windows. wxWidgets itself is not responsible for displaying those tooltips. So it's possible that the control that is used under OSX does not support it.
Use the source, Luke!
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

I think wxListCtrl is not a native control, this may be missing from the generic implementation maybe. If this can be reproduced in a small platform, and especially shown to behave differently from OS to OS, this is a case for bug report
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows
viveksha
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by viveksha »

Hi Guys,
My code is same for both Win and MAC but the tool tip appears on Win but does not appears on MAC .
The users of my projects say that this is a discrepancy between platform which should not be there. That is why i just wanted to know that this is platform/widgets limitation on MAC or something could be wrong in my code.
Thanks ,
Vivek
pritishgh
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by pritishgh »

Hi,

I am trying to implement wxStaticBitmap *obj -> SetToolTip(wxT("The tooltip")) in OSx. But the tooltip isn't working there. Can anybody please explain is this a native control issue ?.
As I read some previous comments I came to know that non native controls may not work properly in OSx as expected.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards.
remi
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by remi »

Hi

I have also the same problem here with wx 3.0.3. Simple Tooltips are working well under windows, but they don't appear under macOS sierra 10.12.5, Clang-802.0.42, with the same source code.

I don't know how I could debug that. If people have suggestions to do so that would be great.

Thanks
moki
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by moki »

Hi,

I also encounter issues with some tooltips on MAC OS if the 2 following condition are met :
  • the tooltip is set on a none native control
  • the tooltips is set before the containing dialog is shown
I have opened a ticket on wxTrac.

Here is a workaround to make tooltips work : it reassign recursively all tooltips of the dialog after it is shown.

Code: Select all

Bind(wxEVT_INIT_DIALOG, &MyDialog::OnInitDialog, this);

void MyDialog::OnInitDialog(wxInitDialogEvent& event)
{
#ifdef __WXOSX__
    restoreRecursivelyAllToolTips(this);
#endif
    event.Skip();
}

bool restoreRecursivelyAllToolTips(wxWindow *win)
{
    if (!win)
	return false;

wxString tooltip = win->GetToolTipText();
    win->UnsetToolTip();
    win->SetToolTip(tooltip);

for (auto child : win->GetChildren())
	restoreRecursivelyAllToolTips(child);

return true;
}
eranon
Can't get richer than this
Can't get richer than this

Post by eranon »

I had this kind of issue on Mac too. I solved it forcing a resize: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=43815&hilit=tooltip
[Ind. dev. - wxWidgets 3.0/3.1 under "Win 7 64-bit, TDM64-GCC" + "OS X 10.9, LLVM Clang"]