Fedora Core 1 upgrade challenges

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
BarryTice
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Fedora Core 1 upgrade challenges

Post by BarryTice » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:49 pm

Greetings.

About a year ago, a friend introduced me to Python, wxPython, and Boa Constructor. I downloaded and installed all three on a Fedora Core 1 laptop that I planned to use for development of a project, but due to other commitments I had to set it aside for a while. (Python: 2.3 WxPython: 2.4.2.4 Boa: 0.3.1)

About six weeks ago, I started the project in earnest. Now I find out I should have gotten the Unicode version of wxWidgets at the time, as I need some of the characters ASCII won't give me. Of course, I can't get the Unicode version of 2.4.2.4, and that means I'll need to upgrade, which means I'll need to upgrade Boa, which means I might as well upgrade Python.

Nuts.

So I compiled and installed Python 2.4.1 with no problem, but I'm having all kinds of problems getting wxPython 2.6.1.0 to cooperate. There are no rpms for Fedora Core 1. The Red Hat 9 ones say they work, but then things don't work. The Fedora Core 2 rpms fail due to dependencies, even after I've gone out and downloaded and installed the rpms that say they fill those dependences.

I've discovered that with the rh9 rpms, there seems to be a discrepancy as to where things are installed. Some things seem to go to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages and some things seem to go to /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages. Fine. A well-placed symbolic link can fix that. (Otherwise, "import wx" from a Python prompt says it can't find the package.)

Now it can find the wx package, but now I'm getting a different error:
File"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line4, in ? import _core_ImportError:/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core_.so:undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromEncodedObject

I can't find a _core_.so anywhere on my system. I've installed all three rpms (common, wxPython2.6 and devel, even though devel is supposed to be optional) and the file isn't anywhere on my drive.

Any ideas where I should go with this?

There's not a whole lot on this laptop, so if I end up having to wipe it and start over, so be it (though I'd obviously rather not have to go that far). But even that poses new problems: The only wxPython rpms out there are for Fedora Core 2, but Fedora is up to Core 4. Do I install Core 2 or Core 4, with the hope that Core 4 has more of the right stuff already in place?

Thanks for any suggestions on my best approach on this.

-- Barry Tice