update to 2.8.11 on linux Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
monax
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

update to 2.8.11 on linux

Post by monax » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi!
I installed wxwidgets on my ubuntu using this manual http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Installing_an ... der_Ubuntu. And now I have 2.8.10 version. I'd like to update to 2.8.11. Can I do it without compiling wxwidgets from sources?

DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi,
Can I do it without compiling wxwidgets from sources?
Looking inside the apt repo mentioned in the 'Using other packages' section of that url, there are 2.8.11 binary packages for at least lucid and karmic (I didn't check the older versions).

However, you might like to consider building your own anyway: it's not difficult and it gives you maximum flexibility, especially if you don't 'make install'.

Regards,

David

monax
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by monax » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:28 am

tnx. Yesterday I installed 2.8.11 from sources. It is very simple.
./configure --with-gtk
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

I wanted install from reps because I installed wxwidgets from sources on windows and it not very simple. On linux all process it's very simple.

DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 am

On linux all process it's very simple. ./configure --with-gtk
Yes indeed. However you do realise that you've just created an ansi build, while the repo versions nowadays will normally be unicode?

Also it's a better plan to create a subdirectory of the wx source directory, cd into it, and then do:
../configure <--etc>
This avoids getting the source and .o files mixed up and, more importantly, makes it much easier to have multiple different wx builds e.g. debug/release, unicode/ansi. Best of all is to do this and use --prefix=$(pwd) to create 'local' builds that doesn't need 'make install'. That means there's no chance of conflicts between multiple versions/builds.