Bumping it... the iPhone?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Bumping it... the iPhone?

Post by acsMike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 am

I'm sitting here at WWDC09 and am trying to learn everything there is about iPhone development. The iPhone truly appear to be a powerful platform, and covering it with wxWidgets would really be useful.

:arrow: Anyone know the status of the port of wx to iPhone? With that I mean fresh information. The info seem to be a bit sparse...

I understand the difficulties with an iPhone port (as opposed to a wxWinCE port) but if the port has been started it ought to be completed as well...?
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by upCASE » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 am

Hi!
I suppose the major problem in porting to iPhone might be, that AFAIK iPhone apps are written in objective C. I'm not really sure if much work has been done to port wxWidgets using objective C.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

acsMike
I live to help wx-kind
I live to help wx-kind

Post by acsMike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:51 pm

upCASE wrote:Hi!
I suppose the major problem in porting to iPhone might be, that AFAIK iPhone apps are written in objective C. I'm not really sure if much work has been done to port wxWidgets using objective C.
Indeed they are written in Objective-C, but don't think that's a great problem, as mixing Objective-C with regular C is trivial and allowed, plus that one can as easily have a C++ structure on the side, being called by C functions.

But writing a objective-C "layer" to call C++ functionality is probably time consuming and tedious...
/Michael Ljunggren, developer
Peavey Electronics

Windows: 2.6.3, 2.8.9 (VS2005) ** Mac: 2.6.3 (XCode 3) ** WinCE: 2.8.9 (VS2005), ** GTK: 2.8.9 (Kdevelop)

Jeisson
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Jeisson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm

This information could be helpful:

http://groups.google.com/group/wx-dev/b ... 0fde93c725

Best regards
-Jeisson

Kolya
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Kolya » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:40 pm

wxWidgets already has some support for iPhone: http://svn.wxwidgets.org/svn/wx/wxWidge ... osx/iphone