Linux Debugging Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
lordmaiku
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Linux Debugging

Post by lordmaiku »

Hello,

So this evening I've worked on compiling my application on Linux for the first time. After some minor adjustments to the code to appease g++, it compiles perfectly well, with no errors. But... when I try and start the app, nothing happens. Nothing at all. Which is quite puzzling. Where do I begin with this?

This is actually my second foray into Linux development... apparently the first time I got lucky, because my app worked perfectly without modification. I didn't even have to debug that time. I guess it's time I pulled out gdb...

Thanks in advance for any tips
upCASE

Post by upCASE »

Hi!
What does "nothing happens" mean? Does it crash, or simply terminate when called from the shell?
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
lordmaiku
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by lordmaiku »

It literally does nothing. Called from the shell: no errors, no messages. It's like it starts and quits immediately without error.
computerquip
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by computerquip »

Create some logging messages so you can track where it is using either printf, sprintf, or cout. Then execute it inside of bash. It should produce some text that will tell you everything you wanted it too. Also, produce some code that we can look at!
lordmaiku
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by lordmaiku »

Well apparently Windows just completely ignores my critical sections locks, because there was a bug that would obviously cause a deadlock (and did, on Linux) but didn't on Windows. Well after I fixed that, it started right up! Thanks