Building WxWidgets in Ubuntu Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Double Trouble
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Building WxWidgets in Ubuntu

Post by Double Trouble »

Hi!
I'm quite new to WxWidgets and also to Linux but I'm trying to set up wxWidgets on my laptop with Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

So I'm reading this tutorial:

http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Compiling_and_getting_started

But I got stuck here:
You will also need gtk+ (don't forget to install the -dev package if your distro uses them)

It is recommended to use at least GTK+ 2.2.3, and some features are only available when using more recent version, like GTK+ 2.8.
When I search for gtk+ I get so many different alternatives I don't know which one to pick. I use aptitude,

sudo aptitude search gtk+

Can I get some guidance? :)

Thank you in advance!
Jorg

Post by Jorg »

First off, are you sure you want to recompile wxWidgets ? Ubuntu has the packages you need to develop wxWidgets in the synapic repository, which also makes it easier to distribute your binaries. The whole idea of packages is that if wxWidgets gets updated by the devs your application automatically benefits from the updates. Linking statically is usually not a good idea.

- Jorgen
Forensic Software Engineer
Netherlands Forensic Insitute
http://english.forensischinstituut.nl/
-------------------------------------
Jorg's WasteBucket
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/wb
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

The hardy gtk package is libgtk2.0-0, which (unless you've done something unusual to your system) is 2.12. That will probably already be installed; however you'll need the corresponding devel package, libgtk2.0-dev.

You'll need build-essential too, unless you've installed its components separately.

Regards,

David
Double Trouble
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Double Trouble »

Jorg wrote:First off, are you sure you want to recompile wxWidgets ? Ubuntu has the packages you need to develop wxWidgets in the synapic repository, which also makes it easier to distribute your binaries. The whole idea of packages is that if wxWidgets gets updated by the devs your application automatically benefits from the updates. Linking statically is usually not a good idea.

- Jorgen
Ah!
That seems a lot easier!
Which package should I get from Synaptic? My guess is libwxgtk2.8-dev but I'm not confident enough! :oops:

Thank you in advance!
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Yes that's the one
Double Trouble
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Double Trouble »

Auria wrote:Yes that's the one
Thanks!