Ubuntu, where is setup.h?

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Ankou
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Ubuntu, where is setup.h?

Post by Ankou » Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to get wxWidgets working on Ubuntu Linux and I recognized, that the developement packs are already installed.
But I haven't found the setup.h yet, where is it?

priyank_bolia
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by priyank_bolia » Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Did you installed using the Synaptic package manager or what?
setup.h is used for compiling the wxWidgets libraries, ubuntu comes with pre-compiled libraries (I think so).
If you are compiling wxWidgets using the downloaded package, then the setup.h will be in your build folder, just search that directories where you extracted wxWidgets and created subfolder for compilation.

Ankou
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Ankou » Wed May 21, 2008 7:43 pm

I installed it using synaptic.
But it tells me, that he needs the setup.h.(He marks #include <wx/wx.h> as an error and says, that wx/setup.h isn't found)(And I also needed it when I compiled it myself(on Windows))

DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DavidHart » Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi,
I installed it using synaptic.
Make sure you have the correct .dev package. It should be libwxgtk2.8-dev.
But it tells me, that he needs the setup.h.(He marks #include <wx/wx.h> as an error and says, that wx/setup.h isn't found)(And I also needed it when I compiled it myself(on Windows))
I understand that, on Windows, people have to alter setup.h to get different builds. That isn't done in Linux: there's a script, wx-config, that lets you select which wx version you want your app to build against.

Regards,

David

Ankou
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Post by Ankou » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

I understand why I shouldn't need it, but I need it. And I found it(in /usr/lib64/wx/include).
But now I have another problem, even if it could be caused by this, I'll open a new thread.

Deschamps
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by Deschamps » Thu May 22, 2008 9:46 am

DavidHart wrote:(..) on Windows, people have to alter setup.h to get different builds. That isn't done in Linux: there's a script, wx-config, that lets you select which wx version you want your app to build against. (..)
Not necessarily.

Using MinGW (gnu-gcc) you can edit <wxMSW>\build\msw\config.gcc (I suppose that like using other compiler tools) and build different versions for wxMSW. You can also use the desired command line parameters to build them. And, then, using the correct parameters, you can compile and build your app against any of those versions. Besides, you can use even a wx-config port for Windows, if you want.

The file setup.h needs to be edited (AFAIK) only if you want OpenGL support (wxGLCanvas is set to 0 as default, if I'm not wrong) or any other non-default feature, before building your wxWidgets libraries, and this must be done at least once for all platforms (including Linux).

Regards.
Misquotations are the only quotations that are never misquoted