wxWidgets on Android, Ubuntu Mobile, or OpenMoko? Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

wxWidgets on Android, Ubuntu Mobile, or OpenMoko?

Post by JSThePatriot »

I am trying to follow the Linux Mobile Computing platforms and I love the wxWidgets framework. I am wondering if the wxCommunity is planning to join any of these groups, or try to compile on these platforms. I am new to the embedded environments and am highly interested in them. I am currently working with my development team to get them familiar with the wxFramework. I am interested in opinions, websites and other information on the subject.
OS Windows XP Pro
Compiler MinGW 3.4.5
wxWidgets 2.8.7 (Unicode : Monolithic : Release)
IDE Code::Blocks (Latest Release)
RAD wxFormBuilder (Latest Release)
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tierra »

Android uses Java, so that's not likely, but Ubuntu Mobile and OpenMoko provide a Xorg environment with GTK+, so even if new ports aren't created, it may still be possible to use wxGTK on them. I'm not aware of anyone working on anything in that regard though.
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

@tierra

I appreciate your response.

I saw that Android was Java based, and that unfortunately turned me off from it. (Saw it after I posted)

Ubuntu Mobile is being made for MIDs. (Mobile Internet Devices) So basically items like the iPhone and souped up PDA's (I think). Also tablet PC's are mentioned. I would imagine that wxWidgets would work on this type of platform, I was just unsure due to the different processor architectures.

OpenMoko I don't even know too much about. It was the first Linux Internet/Phone device that I found out about, and am quite interested in.

I just want to know if I will be able to write applications using the wxWidgets framework I am getting used to. I am wanting to go linux based on my companies devices. We sell units with CE on them currently. This would save us about $200 per unit I believe, and $400 per windows mobile unit sold.

I greatly appreciate your response, and I suppose only time will tell.

Thanks,
JS
OS Windows XP Pro
Compiler MinGW 3.4.5
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by lollisoft »

Hi,

I have a FreeRunner and just installed the included wxWidgets
libraries (2.8.7).

Not sure to directly try out a wx based application, because I
don't know, if there is one included or one is based on this package.

I will stay tuned, especially how to setup my development environment for crosscompiling wxwidgets against ARM.

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks
JSThePatriot
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by JSThePatriot »

lollisoft wrote:Hi,

I have a FreeRunner and just installed the included wxWidgets
libraries (2.8.7).

Not sure to directly try out a wx based application, because I
don't know, if there is one included or one is based on this package.

I will stay tuned, especially how to setup my development environment for crosscompiling wxwidgets against ARM.

Lothar
Now you have me very excited! I almost got one of those when they came out, but I didn't have the funds at the time so I am still vying to get one.

Please keep track of how you do every little thing on there. I would love to know as I am very excited about it as a whole platform not just on that device.

Thanks a ton for an update!
JS
OS Windows XP Pro
Compiler MinGW 3.4.5
lollisoft
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by lollisoft »

I can say, very nice ;-)

I have posted a question if there are any applications inside the provided wxWidgets package or lequiring wxWidgets.

What I propably must do, is setup a crosscompiling host and development machine for that (propably debian or suse).

Lothar
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS X (Panther/Leopard/Snow Leopard), SuSE Linux, Debian (PPC), OpenMoko FreeRunner
Compiler: OpenWatcom, GCC
wxWidgets 2.8.x
IDE Makefile based.
RAD My own brewed, Code generation with XSLT and DialogBlocks
wxbuilder
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by wxbuilder »

Hello

we develop http://sourceforge.net/project/screensh ... _id=233927
with wxwidgets.
the gui is designed to be small, to be compatible with mobile phones, e.g. openmoko.

if you want to join, you are welcome.
We habe contacts as well to openmoko and maemo platform developers, not developing for the project, but helping us in testing the wxwidget environment on these platforms on the example of this messenger.

If you like to join the communication, there is a non-public team list, where we can subscribe you if you like.

Regards
wxbuilder
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

I developed for Ubuntu Mobile and it seems that everything works as expected (at least in my project %)). There is a post at wxWidgets blog here. Also there is an article about UME at ibm.com