wxMediaCtrl on Windows Vista Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
whatisron
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxMediaCtrl on Windows Vista

Post by whatisron »

I've been using wxMediaCtrl quite happily in my application. Unfortunately, my application's use of wxMediaCtrl does not seem to work on Windows Vista. I'm wondering if there are known Vista issues with wxMediaCtrl?

I'm doing pretty basic stuff. I create a wxMediaCtrl, load a file, and when the EVT_MEDIA_LOADED occurs, I call Play().

On Win2K, XP, and Mac OS X, this works fine. But on Vista, no video plays. I've tried using WMV files as well as a couple other formats with no luck.
C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

Some lines of code would be helpful. :roll:

How and where do you create your wxMediaCtrl object?

Sebastian
Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe is trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. [Rich Cook]
whatisron
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

wxMediaCtrl problem on Vista

Post by whatisron »

I create it in a wxDialog. This code works fine under XP and Win2K. I've tried various video formats. Here is the actual code I'm using (minus standard #include statements):

Code: Select all

// wxMediaCtrl *cMediaCtrl is defined in header

/*!
 * MyDlg type definition
 */

IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS( MyDlg, wxDialog )

/*!
 * MyDlg event table definition
 */

BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE( MyDlg, wxDialog )
    EVT_BUTTON( ID_STARTVIDEO, MyDlg::StartVideo )
END_EVENT_TABLE()

MyDlg::~MyDlg()
{
    if (cMediaCtrl)
        delete cMediaCtrl;
}

MyDlg::MyDlg( )
{
    wxASSERT(FALSE);
}

MyDlg::MyDlg( wxWindow* parent, wxWindowID id, const wxString& caption, const wxPoint& pos, const wxSize& WXUNUSED(size), long style )
{
    Create(parent, id, caption, pos, wxSize(300,300), style);
}

bool MyDlg::Create( wxWindow* parent, wxWindowID id, const wxString& caption, const wxPoint& pos, const wxSize& size, long style )
{
    SetExtraStyle(GetExtraStyle()|wxWS_EX_BLOCK_EVENTS);
    wxDialog::Create( parent, id, caption, pos, size, style );

CreateControls();
    CentreOnScreen();

return true;
}

void MyDlg::CreateControls()
{    
    MyDlg* itemDialog1 = this;

cMediaCtrl=NULL;
    cMediaCtrl=new wxMediaCtrl( itemDialog1, wxID_MEDIACTRL, wxEmptyString,wxPoint(0,0),wxSize(240,240));
    wxButton *aButton= new wxButton( itemDialog1, ID_BD_NEXTSTRETCH, _("&Next Stretch"), wxPoint(0, 245), wxSize(130, 24), 0 );

Connect(wxID_MEDIACTRL, wxEVT_MEDIA_LOADED, wxMediaEventHandler(MyDlg::OnMediaLoaded));
}

void MyDlg::OnMediaLoaded(wxMediaEvent& WXUNUSED(evt))
{
    if( !cMediaCtrl->Play() )
        wxASSERT(FALSE);
}

void MyDlg::StartVideo( wxCommandEvent& WXUNUSED(event) )
{
    wxCHECK_RET(cMediaCtrl->Load("c:/videos/MyVideo.mpg"),_("VideoNotLoaded"));
}

C_Bastian
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by C_Bastian »

Im not sure, it is just a guess: Maybe you have a problem with the wxMediaBackend. Try wxMEDIABACKEND_WMP10 in the Create call.

If this does not help, you'll have to describe closer what you mean with "does not seem to work"

Sebastian
Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe is trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. [Rich Cook]
whatisron
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by whatisron »

That indeed solved the problem. I'm a little confused why other's don't seem to have noticed this problem. In any case, in my code now, I just check for Vista, and if my app is running on Vista, I specify the backend as wxMEDIABACKEND_WMP10 in the call to Create() and it works.

Thanks for the good suggestion!

-Ron