wxWinCE : FEEDBACK

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
romeo9423
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

wxWinCE : FEEDBACK

Post by romeo9423 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:49 am

Hi,

it seems wxwidgets on wince is not really working.
I have installed on my PC (WinXP SP2) evc4 with SP4 ,all the updates , SDK...
I also have VS2005 with PPC2003 and WM5 SDK.
I have downloaded wxwidgets-2.8.0.zip and I tried to compile it.

First :

Documentation found here : http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php ... ECompiling
doesn't work.

WHY :

1)Visual Studio 2005 do not know how to convert evc workspace (.vcw). but only project.
Besides if projects have unix format, VS2005 is lost. So first convert into Windows format one by one.

2)When using evc4, cpu takes 100% when trying to compile wxwidgets.
So I am using VS2005

3)clarm.exe is not available under VS2005 so compilation fails
eVC compilers used to be called clarm.exe but in VS2005, all the compilers are called cl.exe but living in different directories.

Error message :

Creating temporary file "c:\Third-Party\wxWidgets-2.8.0\build\wince\Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)\Debug\BAT00001E4082876.bat" with contents
[
@echo off

clarm.exe /EP /nologo "c:\Third-Party\wxWidgets-2.8.0\include\wx\msw\genrcdefs.h" > "..\..\lib\evc_armv4_lib\winced\wx\msw\rcdefs.h"

if errorlevel 1 goto VCReportError

goto VCEnd

:VCReportError

echo Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Creating ..\..\lib\evc_armv4_lib\winced\wx\msw\rcdefs.h"

exit 1

:VCEnd
]
Creating command line """c:\Third-Party\wxWidgets-2.8.0\build\wince\Pocket PC 2003 (ARMV4)\Debug\BAT00001E4082876.bat"""

4)Setup.h is not present. Maybe due due previous error but maybe not since setup.h is not present in ..\..\include\wx\msw\wince\setup.h.

UPDATE : it seems to compile once i have copied a default setup.h and with the modifications I have explained above.
In my setup.h I have changed the following value :

#define wxUSE_TOOLTIPS 0
#define wxUSE_CRASHREPORT 0
#define wxUSE_FSVOLUME 0
#define wxUSE_PRINTING_ARCHITECTURE 0
#define wxUSE_OWNER_DRAWN 0
#define wxUSE_MDI 0
#define wxUSE_MDI_ARCHITECTURE 0
#define wxUSE_PRINTING_ARCHITECTURE 0

I am really interested by wxwidgets but everytime there something that doesnt' work. I always loose my time

LAST UPDATE :

Now it compiles but libs are not copied into lib directory, I have to get them from compilation dir.

upCASE
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wxWinCE : FEEDBACK

Post by upCASE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 am

Hi!
romeo9423 wrote:1)Visual Studio 2005 do not know how to convert evc workspace (.vcw). but only project.
Besides if projects have unix format, VS2005 is lost. So first convert into Windows format one by one.
Hmmm... VC2005 should be able to convert these.
Did you checkout the latest CVS? The zip doesn't have the Unix line ending problem.
romeo9423 wrote:2)When using evc4, cpu takes 100% when trying to compile wxwidgets.
So I am using VS2005
evc4 is a crappy compiler compared to the newer ones. It's pretty slow and stupid. Anyway, it does work (but it takes a hell lot of time to compile). I didn't check with VC2005 yet, but it is said to work with wxWidgets...
romeo9423 wrote:3)clarm.exe is not available under VS2005 so compilation fails
eVC compilers used to be called clarm.exe but in VS2005, all the compilers are called cl.exe but living in different directories.
I suppose somebody missed that. But you could easily replace the lines
CPP=clarm.exe in the project files. Not very convenient, but it should work.
romeo9423 wrote:4)Setup.h is not present. Maybe due due previous error but maybe not since setup.h is not present in ..\..\include\wx\msw\wince\setup.h.
True, but I wonder why. Check CVS, it has a setup.h in the wince include dir. Maybe just download this one and use it.
romeo9423 wrote:Now it compiles but libs are not copied into lib directory, I have to get them from compilation dir.
Great that it compiled at last :)
The wiki has an entry about adjusting the output dirs for the libs right on top.

I suggest that you try contacting the devs or join the mailing list to tell them about your findings. I'm not sure how many of these problems will be addressed with the next release.
wx: svn
Compiler: gcc 4.5.1, VC 2008, eVC 4

"If it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." - the unknown coder
"Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

romeo9423
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: wxWinCE : FEEDBACK

Post by romeo9423 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:38 am

Ok I will contact devs.
But now I am building a Sample application and I get the following errors :

1>syncApp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __cdecl wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(class wxEvtHandler *,void (__cdecl wxEvtHandler::*)(class wxEvent &),class wxEvent &)const " ([email protected]@@[email protected]@[email protected]@@@[email protected])
1>syncApp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __cdecl wxApp::OnExceptionInMainLoop(void)" ([email protected]@@UAA_NXZ)

and wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS is defined and setup to 1 in setup.h

It seems it comes from chkconf.h
#ifdef wxNO_EXCEPTIONS
# undef wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS
# define wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS 0
#endif /* wxNO_EXCEPTIONS */

But when I search for wxNO_EXCEPTIONS I cannot find it anywhere.
So for now I am compiling with wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS set to 1.

upCASE wrote:Hi!
romeo9423 wrote:1)Visual Studio 2005 do not know how to convert evc workspace (.vcw). but only project.
Hmmm... VC2005 should be able to convert these.
Did you checkout the latest CVS? The zip doesn't have the Unix line ending problem.
romeo9423 wrote:2)When using evc4, cpu takes 100% when trying to compile wxwidgets.
So I am using VS2005
evc4 is a crappy compiler compared to the newer ones. It's pretty slow and stupid. Anyway, it does work (but it takes a hell lot of time to compile). I didn't check with VC2005 yet, but it is said to work with wxWidgets...
romeo9423 wrote:3)clarm.exe is not available under VS2005 so compilation fails
I suppose somebody missed that. But you could easily replace the lines
CPP=clarm.exe in the project files. Not very convenient, but it should work.
romeo9423 wrote:4)Setup.h is not present. Maybe due due previous error but maybe not since setup.h is not present in ..\..\include\wx\msw\wince\setup.h.
True, but I wonder why. Check CVS, it has a setup.h in the wince include dir. Maybe just download this one and use it.
romeo9423 wrote:Now it compiles but libs are not copied into lib directory, I have to get them from compilation dir.
Great that it compiled at last :)
The wiki has an entry about adjusting the output dirs for the libs right on top.

I suggest that you try contacting the devs or join the mailing list to tell them about your findings. I'm not sure how many of these problems will be addressed with the next release.