Windows installation help request Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
Modeller
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Windows installation help request

Post by Modeller »

Hi!

I am VERY NEW to wXWidgets :oops: and I have naturally many unanswered questions in my mind. The questions I have are mainly due to insufficient information about wXWidgets. However, I will start with the installation step.

I have been to Link : http://www.wxwidgets.org/ and what I was told there was that "just click to this link : http://www.wxwidgets.org/downloads/ and off you go"! to where I do not know. I then downloaded wxWidget for MS-Windows but I do not know how to proceed further. As far as I have understood I must recompile the wxWidget source files in order to establish a kind of "static" library. Then I will be able to code and run my own GUIs.

Now I found the book and Jeff Cogswell tells about the installation. He says : "The installation depends on the platform on which you
FlyingIsFun1217
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Although I cannot say what is involved to get VC++, as I do not use it, I can say that wxDev-C++ is a great solution, as it gets you started by giving you a visual designer for your applications, and comes with the wxWidgets library.

FlyingIsFun1217 :)
tierra
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows installation help request

Post by tierra »

Modeller wrote:System Information : I am running XP-proffesional and Visual C++ Express edition with Platform SDK installed. I will use VC++ Express with wxWidgets - if I can manage the installation!
You can get everything up and running in VC++ without needing wxDev-C++ or MinGW. If you have VC++ all installed and setup with the PSDK correctly, you're already a good portion of the way there. You will find the official wxMSW installation instructions (at docs\msw\install.txt) as well as the VC++ Setup Guide on the wxWiki extremely helpful.
Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Auria »

Indeed, following the instructions in the install file and/or wiki should be good.
establish a kind of "static" library
run the "configure" script and type "make in the console"
However you do not seem to be confortable with libs and console, getting a little knowledge in this area would probably make it all seem less obscure (at least for me it did)
Modeller
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Modeller »

I thank you very much for the help you guys have provided, especially for the link : http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php ... etup_Guide

Regards :wink:
M.
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »