wxWidgets in vscode - Application manifest Topic is solved

Do you have a typical platform dependent issue you're battling with ? Ask it here. Make sure you mention your platform, compiler, and wxWidgets version.
SdN8c2kg
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

wxWidgets in vscode - Application manifest

Post by SdN8c2kg »

I'm fairly new to both wxWidgets and c++ so I'd appreciate it if you'd give me a little patience.

I'm using vscode as my ide and the wingw compiler (if that means anything for this question)

I've got a basic application with wxwidgets that compiles and runs just fine. However, I've come to find that the application has a windows 95 look, so after some googling I've found a few answers that either say I need an application recourse file or a manifest file (with the wxwidgets faq mentioning both). So what file do I need and what needs to be put in said file?
doublemax@work
Super wx Problem Solver
Super wx Problem Solver

Re: wxWidgets in vscode - Application manifest

Post by doublemax@work »

SdN8c2kg
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by SdN8c2kg »

Thanks for the resources. However, I'm still a little confused and I'm not entirely sure what to do. What I've gathered is that I need both a .manifest and a .rc file, but what do each of these do, and what do I need to do with them? I've tried googling what to do with them and nothing too helpful comes up. Again sorry I am very new to c++ and wxwidgets alike after only coming here before using c# for a few years.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

Unfortunately i use Visual Studio almost exclusively, so i can't give you an exact answer.

I only know that the tool to compile resources files is called "windres".
I found this random command line somewhere in the forum:

Code: Select all

windres -v -I${MINGW_HOME}\include\wx-3.2 ../resources/resources.rc ../resources/resources.o 
The resulting object file then just needs to be added to the linker input files.

Alternatively, you can also just place the .manifest file next to the executable with the same name.
Use the source, Luke!
SdN8c2kg
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by SdN8c2kg »

Yes! That was it. I had found the windres command but it just gave me an error every time I ran it, turns out all I needed was to include the wxwidgets include folder with the command. Thank you