Looking for "gauge" control, but arc, donut or pie shaped Topic is solved

Are you writing your own components and need help with how to set them up or have questions about the components you are deriving from ? Ask them here.
Digital Larry
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Looking for "gauge" control, but arc, donut or pie shaped

Post by Digital Larry »

I'm looking to represent the position of a music loop visually. Currently the program I'm modifying just uses a linear slider-derived control, but an arc/pie shaped thing delivers a much stronger sense of where you are especially if you're not looking directly at it.

A couple examples of this type of control include:
arc-controls.png
arc-controls.png (52.49 KiB) Viewed 16492 times
It should also be pretty efficient in terms of drawing speed, as several of them want to be drawn ten times per second on a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks!

DL
doublemax

Re: Looking for "gauge" control, but arc, donut or pie shaped

Post by doublemax »

There is no control like that in wxWidgets itself. There are some custom controls available as a wxSmith plugin, but they don't look very nice and don't do exactly what you need: http://wxsmithaddons.sourceforge.net/wxsmithkwic.html

I'd suggest to write a custom control. It's not that hard, especially for a control, the user can't interact with.
https://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Painting_your_custom_control
Use the source, Luke!
Digital Larry
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Digital Larry »

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
Keep in mind so that for the music player it is sometimes required for the user to re-position the place where the music is played. It will be much harder in the case of such custom-control.

Unless you absolutely sure the user will not interact with the slider - go ahead.

Thank you.
Digital Larry
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by Digital Larry »

ONEEYEMAN wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:42 pm Hi,
Keep in mind so that for the music player it is sometimes required for the user to re-position the place where the music is played. It will be much harder in the case of such custom-control.

Unless you absolutely sure the user will not interact with the slider - go ahead.

Thank you.
Thanks for your perspective. The user in this case is me and I am adapting this open source project's UI to more closely fit the way I think I want to work. The loops are short and the goal is to provide a very accessible method to capture musical ideas from an electric guitar.

http://essej.net/sooperlooper/

If the user needs to position the playback point of the loop, they can use the original UI. Who knows? Maybe after using it awhile I might change my mind.