Simple MP3 player using wxMediaCtrl

Are you writing your own components and need help with how to set them up or have questions about the components you are deriving from ? Ask them here.
x153
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Simple MP3 player using wxMediaCtrl

Post by x153 »

Hello guys!
I hope that it's the right subforum for my topic.

Unfortunetly it will be my first wxWidgets (or any GUI) project that is worth to mention.

I have to write simple MP3 player for linux. It should have volume control, playlists and drag'n'drop interface. It would be also nice when it will have equalization or output level normalization. I'm affraid that wxWidgets won't provide me those features and I will be forced to play with ALSA's equalizers.
Which library should I use to write functional playlist? I mean playlist that has "buttons" as a song name etc?

Will using wxSmith (and learning it) be a timesaver or writing it 'directly' will do the job? I'd like to keep my project simple, but fully-functional (I will use it as mp3 player on my desktop after I finish him).

Is it true that I shouldn't use STL? I'd like to use vectors for playlists. I don't really like (*void) arrays.

Any help will be appreciated. I will keep posting about my issues, I really have to finish them quick (it's for project on my university too). Thanks A LOT!
doublemax

Re: Simple MP3 player using wxMediaCtrl

Post by doublemax »

Which library should I use to write functional playlist? I mean playlist that has "buttons" as a song name etc?
Depends on how "fancy" it needs to look. For a standard control, wxListCtrl should to the job.
Will using wxSmith (and learning it) be a timesaver or writing it 'directly' will do the job?
Hard to decide. Using a graphical GUI editor lets you start quicker, but if you don't understand the underlying logic (especially sizers), you will very often run into a wall at some point in time. My personal opinion is to learn the basics first, then start using a GUI editor.
Is it true that I shouldn't use STL?
No. Who says that?
Use the source, Luke!
x153
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by x153 »

Just simple playlist, nothing fancy, wxListCtrl should do the job, thanks!

I've readed that I shouldn't use STL in some article, I don't really know which one and I can't find it right now. But thanks, that's a lifesaver :).
@edit : http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm <- I have founded it here.

I'm learning from http://zetcode.com/gui/wxwidgets/ and I'm about to end it, wxListCtrl appears in next lesson (drag'n'drop), but I didn't know that they could be used as "buttons". This tutorial is really good, but it doesn't provide all necessary informations. Unfortunetly wxBook is really large and I can't afford to read it right now, besides I'm electronics student, so GUI programming isn't most important for me.

I think I'll to write it 'directly' if tools like wxSmith can make some troubles. Thanks for your help :)

I think that I should set this topic as solved when I'll get through whole program, so my problems with this project will be in one place.
doublemax

Post by doublemax »

I've readed that I shouldn't use STL in some article, I don't really know which one and I can't find it right now. But thanks, that's a lifesaver :).
@edit : http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm <- I have founded it here.
Like it says at the beginning, this is almost outdated. And - more important - it's meant for writing code for the library itself. wxWidgets supports old compilers and e.g. embedded systems, but STL is not available everywhere.
Use the source, Luke!
evstevemd
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by evstevemd »

In my spare time I develop a media player on top of LibVlc but the concept is the same.
I would suggest you use wxListCtrl as DM sais but I should add the use wxXML for persistent for easy stuffs but SQLite3 (and hence wxSQLite3) for complex manouvre!
Chief Justice: We have trouble dear citizens!
Citizens: What it is his honor?
Chief Justice:Our president is an atheist, who will he swear to?