No Idle events when GUI is minimized

Are you writing your own components and need help with how to set them up or have questions about the components you are deriving from ? Ask them here.
johnnie
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

No Idle events when GUI is minimized

Post by johnnie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 am

Hi all,

I am facing issue in Idle Event. I have created a GUI with provides many functions like memory profiling, tracing etc., I am using Idle events for changing state of the GUI control.Idle events doesn't get generated when the GUI is minimized. Kindly Help.

~ Johnnie
--johnniealan --

catalin

Re: No Idle events when GUI is minimized

Post by catalin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am

This the way wxW behaves. Personally I can't say it is a feature or a limitation.

You can try this:
- handle wxIconizeEvent (only available for the wxMSW, wxGTK ports though), start a timer with a reasonable time interval when the window is minimized, stop the timer and rely again on idle events when the window is restored (and maybe maximized too, if it can be directly maximized from minimized state);
- in the timer event handler do whatever you do in the idle event handler.

Auria
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Idle events when GUI is minimized

Post by Auria » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

johnnie wrote:Hi all,

I am facing issue in Idle Event. I have created a GUI with provides many functions like memory profiling, tracing etc., I am using Idle events for changing state of the GUI control.Idle events doesn't get generated when the GUI is minimized. Kindly Help.

~ Johnnie
Well you say in idle events you change the state of the GUI controls; when the application is
minimized, however, GUI controls are not visible. So if the only thing you are doing is updating GUI controls I don't see the problem with that stopping when your app is minimized
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue"
-- Windows