Writing a Hex Editor control

Are you writing your own components and need help with how to set them up or have questions about the components you are deriving from ? Ask them here.
Thunder
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Writing a Hex Editor control

Post by Thunder »

Hi,

I want to write a hex editor control for part of an application I'm writing. I've looked around at guides for writing controls but I've not found much.

I've been playing around with the wxScrolledWindow class. taking data and using the OnDraw method to write text onto the control, but how do I put a cursor on the control and accept & process user input etc? Am I barking up the right tree with this?

If anyone could point me towards some detailed tutorials or give me some advice on how to proceed it would be great.

Cheers,
Matt.
phlox81
wxWorld Domination!
wxWorld Domination!

Post by phlox81 »

As Hex is nothing else then Text, why not modify the TextCtrl?
And probably, there is already an attempt, to provide this, maybe in wxCode you find some control already.
Otherwise, google is your friend probably here too.

If I had to implement it, I would look at the keyevents, and maybe think about some regex for checking input. But there are many ways to do this.
ouch67
Earned some good credits
Earned some good credits

Post by ouch67 »

if it was me I would use wxGrid.
Thunder
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Post by Thunder »

Hi,

Thanks anyway for the replies. I've given up on writing the control since I've found a good hex editing widget for C# which saves me a lot of effort.