Hypertext abstraction

Are you writing your own components and need help with how to set them up or have questions about the components you are deriving from ? Ask them here.
SamuraiCrow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Hypertext abstraction

Post by SamuraiCrow »

I had an idea for adding a BBCode and MarkDown parser class to the HTML reader. To implement them I'd have to factor out an abstract class from HTMLParser class, make the child classes of HTMLParser class inherit the abstract class and then implement the parser classes based on the abstract ones.

That's a fair amount of refactoring. What kind of problems would I face? Would that amount of churn be accepted upstream if I completed it?

My goal is to make a forum browser. Would implementing that using wxWidgets be any smaller than a complete web browser?
doublemax

Re: Hypertext abstraction

Post by doublemax »

I had an idea for adding a BBCode and MarkDown parser class to the HTML reader.
Which "HTML reader" are you referring to? If you're talking about the wxWidgets internal HTML parser used by wxHTMLWindow, i think it's a waste of effort.

It might be easier - and make more sense - to convert the BBCode / MarkDown code to HTML and use wxWebView to display it.
My goal is to make a forum browser.
Sorry, but for what purpose? Why can't you just use a browser?
Use the source, Luke!
SamuraiCrow
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

Re: Hypertext abstraction

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Thanks for the advice. I was going to primarily target another platform that lacks good web browsers. Fortunately the HTMLview gadget on that other platform is open source and is an external plug-in. Since wxWidgets cannot render hypertext more efficiently than a web browser at this time, I will target HTML.