SDL_Surface --> wxBitmap

If you have a cool piece of software to share, but you are not hosting it officially yet, please dump it in here. If you have code snippets that are useful, please donate!
ahlec
In need of some credit
In need of some credit

SDL_Surface --> wxBitmap

Post by ahlec »

For a project that I'm working on, I'm using SDL for everything. But for the data editor program suite for that application, I wanted to use wxWidgets so that I wouldn't have to write everything. Ultimately this means that there is a lot of conversion between different types (though I like optimisation, this isn't my main focus with this side program, as it's only meant for a few developers). One of the things I needed to do was to display SDL_Surfaces as an image, so I needed to convert them to wxBitmaps.

Originally I was using the code outlined here, and that provided me with enough to prove that I could do this. And it displayed 24-bit surfaces perfectly fine. But when I went to use it to display 32-bit images, I was getting really weird results. I searched around for a while on the internet and tried a lot of different things, and determined that it wasn't a problem with SDL or with wxWidgets per se, but rather, the conversion between the two. Namely: the SDL pixel data for 32-bit images followed the pattern of "RED|GREEN|BLUE|ALPHA" for each pixel. But for images with alpha components (32-bit depth), wxWidgets expects two different arrays: one for the RGB data, and then a second for the alphas. This took a somewhat decent amount of time for me to figure out, and while this isn't a huge thing, I figured that I couldn't be the only person who would encounter this problem, so I wanted to put this out there to help you guys.

Code: Select all

wxBitmap toBitmap(SDL_Surface* surface)
    {
        // If our depth is 24, then we don't need to do anything special. There's no alpha channel for us to take care of.
        if (surface->format->BitsPerPixel <= 24)
        {
            return wxBitmap(wxImage(surface->w, surface->h, static_cast<unsigned char*>(surface->pixels)),
                surface->format->BitsPerPixel);
        }

// If we're working with something that is 32 bit depth, then we need to filter out the alpha and RGB values into
        // two separate arrays. This is going to be a somewhat heavy process.
        unsigned char* srcPixels(static_cast<unsigned char*>(surface->pixels));
        unsigned char* rgbPixels = new unsigned char[surface->w * surface->h * 3];
        unsigned char* alphas = new unsigned char[surface->w * surface->h];

uint32_t x(0);
        uint32_t rgbIndex(0);
        uint32_t alphaIndex(0);
        uint32_t srcIndex(0);
        for (uint32_t y = 0; y < surface->h; ++y)
        {
            for (x = 0; x < surface->w; ++x)
            {
                rgbPixels[rgbIndex++] = srcPixels[srcIndex++]; // R
                rgbPixels[rgbIndex++] = srcPixels[srcIndex++]; // G
                rgbPixels[rgbIndex++] = srcPixels[srcIndex++]; // B
                alphas[alphaIndex++] = srcPixels[srcIndex++]; // A
            }
        }

return wxBitmap(wxImage(surface->w, surface->h, rgbPixels, alphas, true));
    }
NOTE: Because all of the above was just a test to see if this would even work (it did -- 32bit SDL_Surfaces now display properly and include alphas), I didn't write it at the time for anything close to optimisation. Like I said above as well, this side program, I'm not worrying too much about optimisation, but if you want to use this for a program, you might want to see if you can optimise this. Additionally, there will be memory leaks from using this function; I haven't gone back and cleaned up this function yet.

So I'm posting this to hopefully help others out, and then also: if anyone finds a more optimal way to do this, please let me know!
doublemax

Re: SDL_Surface --> wxBitmap

Post by doublemax »

With this version all pixels will be copied twice, first into wxImage, then when converting to wxBitmap.

With "raw bitmap access" you can write the data into the wxBitmap directly:
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_pixel_data.html
http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.p ... 267#p86267

Make sure to explicitly state the depth (24 or 32) when creating the bitmap, otherwise you'll get a DDB internally, which can't be manipulated directly.
Use the source, Luke!