Problems building wxFreeChart

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: Problems building wxFreeChart

Post by PB »

I have only now noticed the post about building the demo. I described the fix in Update 2 of one of my previous posts. You did not add -lversion to the makefile, resulting in the linker errors posted.
PaulUK
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by PaulUK »

doublemax wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:37 pm Off-topic:

Unless your application meets very specific criteria, there is no advantage in building 64bit apps under Windows.

These criteria are:
- need to address more than 2GB memory
- intense computations with 64bit integers
- performance-critical tight loop that benefits from having more CPU registers
I agree, but one or more of the programs in the application that I wish to write will definitely need to access more than 2Gb of RAM. One will be an electromagnetics physical optics solver and the other a finite element solver both of which can easily require much more than 2Gb. Using commercial software I've hit a limit of 256Gb in the past and had to simplify my models. For the FEM solver I may use one of the existing open-source libraries.

I'm working out on fleshing out the UI and will then start writing the functions for the rest.

Even if I don't use wxFreeChart, I've learnt a number of lessons trying to build an external library and some of the issues, despite it being slow going with the time I have available.
PaulUK
Knows some wx things
Knows some wx things

Post by PaulUK »

PB wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:53 pm I have only now noticed the post about building the demo. I described the fix in Update 2 of one of my previous posts. You did not add -lversion to the makefile, resulting in the linker errors posted.
Quite right, I'll add it and give it another try. Thank you.

UPDATE:

I finally was successful in building the demo and running it. I had some linker issues and after making a new project and using the wxWidgets wizard in CodeBlocks carefully with the correct configuration and adding the correct library paths etc it all worked fine for both debug and release. I'm interested in the xy line plots and by the look of things it will most likely be useful for my application, although at some point I'd like to learn to use gnuplot and have plots show on a panel within my app but that's a long way off and wxFreeChart will get me started in the meantime.

I got there in the end thanks to the good folk here. Your time replying and your patience is very much appreciated.
Oh, and I got some much needed practice interpreting errors in build logs.