How do I link wxwidgets using dlls?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
HansLjy
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

How do I link wxwidgets using dlls?

Post by HansLjy »

I use cmake and I have already linked wxwidgets using libs. However I found that the application generated was very big. So I hope I can link the dll version of it. I have also built the dlls using the following command from the wiki.

Code: Select all

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release
Now I have a gcc_dll directory. What to do next?
jpo234
Experienced Solver
Experienced Solver

Re: How do I link wxwidgets using dlls?

Post by jpo234 »

HansLjy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:52 am I use cmake and I have already linked wxwidgets using libs. However I found that the application generated was very big. So I hope I can link the dll version of it. I have also built the dlls using the following command from the wiki.

I wouldn't bother using DLLs. The chances are extremely small that there's is another application on the system that uses exactly the same wxwidgets version + the same compiler + same options.
HansLjy
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

Post by HansLjy »

jpo234 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:17 am
HansLjy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:52 am I use cmake and I have already linked wxwidgets using libs. However I found that the application generated was very big. So I hope I can link the dll version of it. I have also built the dlls using the following command from the wiki.

I wouldn't bother using DLLs. The chances are extremely small that there's is another application on the system that uses exactly the same wxwidgets version + the same compiler + same options.
I see, but the linking time is really killing me, I suppose it would be much shorter if I use the dll version?
PB
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Post by PB »

HansLjy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:52 am Now I have a gcc_dll directory. What to do next?
Follow the instructions for the build system / IDE you are using. This should be a good start:
https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/plat_m ... build_apps