What is your preferred IDE for Linux ?

Do you have a question about makefiles, a compiler or IDE you are using and need to know how to set it up for wxWidgets or why it doesn't compile but other IDE's do ? Post your questions here.
olduser
Earned a small fee
Earned a small fee

What is your preferred IDE for Linux ?

Post by olduser »

I use Ubuntu and sort of use the free version of VSCode just to edit files and do searches.
I modify the make files by hand and do my compiles.
But some of you guys just drop in files and something seems to suck them up. I think it was like that when I used to use Visual Studio 6. I was wondering if there is such a tool for Linux.

I have heard that CLion is good but it is not free. I don't want to get used to something and then have to pay unknown sums suddenly.
And eclipse CDT works too but I have not tried.
And last time I tried Codeblocks it crashed left and right.

So was wondering what you are using that makes things easier.
DavidHart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is your preferred IDE for Linux ?

Post by DavidHart »

Hi,

There are regular threads on this subforum asking that, and there's also this wxWiki page.

For what it's worth, I use and recommend (and help out on) CodeLite, which comes with the form designer wxCrafter. IIUC you are using ubuntu bionic, in which case the version in the CodeLite repo will be more recent than the official ubuntu one.

Regards,

David
ONEEYEMAN
Part Of The Furniture
Part Of The Furniture

Re: What is your preferred IDE for Linux ?

Post by ONEEYEMAN »

Hi,
You can also try Anjuta ("native" GTK IDE).
You can try C::B again and see if it still crashes. And I'm sure C::B devs will be very interested to fix the crashes.

Thank you.